- Fizzy Thoughts: Weekly Geeks 2009-02

Weekly Geeks 2009-02

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Thanks to anunfinishedperson for this week's post, and to Joanne, for the inspiration for this week's post:

For those who have been with the group, either from the start or joined within recent months, what does being a member mean to you? What do you enjoy about the group? What are some of your more memorable Weekly Geeks that we might could do again? What could be improved as we continue the legacy that Dewey gave us?

I enjoyed reading the posts of various Weekly Geeks for quite awhile before I actually jumped in and joined the fun. My first time was last September, when we did the quote-a-day activity. Originally, for me, Weekly Geeks was a challenge. It was a weekly event that made me think, made me put a little extra effort into my post. It also challenged me to meet new bloggers, since part of Weekly Geeks was to visit the blogs of fellow geeks. Since Weekly Geeks has always had a very fluid membership, often I was visiting different blogs every week. I've added many new blogs to my reader as a result of Weekly Geeks.

Now, in addition to the above, it's about community. It's a way to honor Dewey, who brought so much to the book blogging community. And it's a way to stay connected to fellow geeks and again, to meet other bloggers. In fact, my Google Reader was very busy adding new subscriptions as I read last week's posts!

My favorite Weekly Geeks seem to be the one's that involve pictures. Although pictures weren't required, Fun Facts About Authors usually included pictures. I also enjoyed seeing people's book photo tours.

As for what could be improved, we'd love to see your suggestions for weekly themes! Care and Sheri have both recently sent in suggestions, so don't be shy! If you have an idea for a weekly post, please email weeklygeeksadmin at gmail dot com.

15 comment(s):

Kerrie said...

I enjoyed last year's challenges in much the same way you did. I enjoy seeing what people's resonses to each weekly challenge is.

Maree said...

I really enjoyed the Quote a Day one.
Happy Weekly Geeks :)

Beth F said...

Since I started blogging only last September, I never joined in Weekly Geeks. I like your thoughts about community, and I'll have to consider joining in.

Nymeth said...

The book photo yours were so fun. Even when I didn't participate, I always enjoyed reading everyone else's posts. And the same is true now!

Bogsider said...

I loved, and still love, to tour around other WG-posts. That is both fun, interesting and often highly inspirational! And instead of googling "book blogs" and having to sort through all sorts of cr*p, each week there is a fresh list of cool blogs to add to the reader!

jessi said...

I enjoyed the quote-a-day (even though I didn't finish) and the fun facts about authors posts, too. I hope we get to repeat those...

I have an award for you here! :)

"Confuzzled" Shannon said...

I don't remember the quote a day one I think I skipped that one. My most memorable one was the scavenger hunt.

anne said...

Hey Jill, cool new look, I like it!

Red lady-Bonnie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and the welcome to Weekly Geeks! I'm currently reading "The Hour I First Believed" and was up past
1am last night reading. I couldn't put it down. I think it is one of his best books. I see it's on your sidebar Currently on Tap.

Kristi said...

I am still one of those who just go around reading all the weekly geek posts - doesn't seem to be enough time to take care of family, read blogs, post and read books!

Becky said...

I love the 'challenge' aspect of weekly geeks.

LisaMM said...

I haven't joined into WG although I might do that at some point. I do enjoy reading the posts though and I think it's great that you're helping to carry on what Dewey started. Quite awesome of you, Miss Jill.

seaside bookworm said...

I left you a award at my blog. Check it out

naida said...

WG is a great way to meet new bloggers, I like the sense of community as well :)
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Ali said...

I've really enjoyed the photo-oriented ones, too. I hadn't thought about the fact that photos tied a lot of my favorites together.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top