- Fizzy Thoughts: World Citizen Challenge

World Citizen Challenge

Friday, January 09, 2009


Last year I read very little non-fiction. Which is okay, because I lurve fiction beyond all else (well, except for Hamburger, but he's not exactly a literary genre). But I do like to expand my horizons occasionally. So I decided to join Eva's World Citizen Challenge. I am going for a major, unless I decide to be a college dropout, or I get ambitious and decide to try for a post-grad degree, which given my history (hah! unintentional joke there) isn't likely to happen. In other words, I'm keeping my options open. For now, this is the list, although to be honest I've started Eleanor of Aquitaine and it's about as exciting as watching grass grow, so there may be some changes in store.

Politics
Making War to Keep Peace: Trials and Errors in American Foreign Policy from Kuwait to Baghdad, Jeanne Kirkpatrick

History
Queen Isabella, Alison Weir
Eleanor of Aquitaine, Alison Weir

Memoir (travel writing)
Shadow of the Silk Road, Colin Thubron
Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Capetown, Paul Theroux

The history selections were heavily influenced by the fact that I already own those two books (holdovers from the failed attempt at a master's in history). I have a few other choices available though...although they're fairly esoteric, too. And okay, maybe my list is a little heavy on travel writing, which might be stretching things. But I believe there is a great deal to be learned from travel memoirs. And besides, it's my favorite category in non-fiction.

On that defensive note, I'm off to start my challenge. Thank gawd I've got all year to finish!

9 comment(s):

Heather J. said...

I'm signed up for this one too, but at the Minor level. Good luck with your book picks!

bkclubcare said...

I've declared to MINOR but it's looking like I might end up with a more impressive degree if I really read what I think I want to.

lilly said...

I also love fiction above all else, but i did put quite a few non-fiction books on my 2009 challenges' list.

lilly said...

Hello,
Just dropping a short notice that I have awarded you with Premio Dardos Award.

chartroose said...

Nope, nope, not doing this. I has dun bin skooled allready. Non-fiction is BOOORING.

Now I must get back to World of Warcraft. There are many Orcs and Worgs left to kill!

Have fun with your dull reading.

April said...

Jill, I wanted you to know how much I love your blog and have awarded you the Kreative Blogger Award. You can pick it up here: http://cafeofdreams.blogspot.com/2009/01/kreativ-blogger-award.html
Have a great weekend!

Eva said...

Thanks for joining in! :) Don't be defensive at all, though-I think there's a lot to be learned from travel memoirs too! That Kirkpatrick looked interesting, btw.

Joanne said...

I'm attempting this challenge too. BTW I have given you an award here on my blog.

chartroose said...

Geez, I sounded like a total bliznatch in my comment, didn't I? Non-fiction needs more readers like you, and I hope you enjoy and learn much from the challenge. Don't pay any attention to my supercilious snottiness.

~~~Slithering back into my hole~~~

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top