- Fizzy Thoughts: Another annoyance

Another annoyance

Thursday, February 19, 2009

I saw this article (and I use the term article loosely here) on MSN today, and while I know we've all had the Kindle discussion, there are other things about the article that annoy me. Namely, the author.

What the hell kind of question is "why do you hate books?" And is it really necessary to continuously refer to those of us who don't care to read books on a Kindle (or even a computer) as Luddites (which she failed to capitalize, as one of the commenters pointed out)? And I don't care if the author was trying to be tongue-in-cheek, or clever, or whatever...it didn't work.

In other news, if you're following the Tour of California, today they were in my neck of the woods. Actually, a bit north, so I didn't see any cyclists, but my county is on tv.

12 comment(s):

Amy said...

Yeah I get a little tired of having the ebooks shoved at me...You must change and conform!!! sigh.

Nymeth said...

I'm willing to give e-books a try, but that article is indeed very off-putting...I don't like the tone.

Jo-Jo said...

How rude that article is! I haven't been sold on a Kindle yet myself.

Susan B. Evans said...

I read that "article" yesterday - I couldn't believe they had the nerve to print it! I'm going to give Kindle a try, but it's because I love books. I wouldn't trade my physical library for anything. Some of my most prized possessions are hardcover first edition books. Having a Kindle won't stop me from buying books, I'll just be buying some of my books in eBook format.

Dar said...

They can say whatever they want. I'll be sticking to my paper copies of books. I still like the feel and look of a real book.

chartroose said...

As you know, I love my Kindle, but I love old-fashioned paper books too. They don't have to be partisan. Can't we all just get along?

And the article was just stupid. I didn't even finish reading it.

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

Ok, MSNBC just dropped down a few pegs in my eyes. That was just plain dumb.

Ladytink_534 said...

I could care less about e-books. They're okay but I prefer a real book!

lilly said...

This article is ridiculous. I don't even know what it's supposed to accomplish. Definitely not endearing anybody to Kindle. I don't personally care how or what other people use. If I had $400 to spend you can bet your neck I'll go to the bookstore and buy $400 in real books.
The author was desperately trying to sound clever but sounded lame instead and the interviewee wasn't that much better. "some kind of trash — like a beach blanket kind of book." - what's that all about?

mari said...

I have watched every day of the Tour of California. I was excited to see it go through so many places I have lived in or near. Sacramento, Davis, Clovis.
It has been fun to watch.

Off to read that "article".

Joanne said...

What the crap was that?? The article and the video were both pretty pathetic ... I knew there was a reason I never watch the MSNBC channel.

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Portable Wheelchair

Keep Posting:)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top