- Fizzy Thoughts: Fool

Fool

Tuesday, February 17, 2009


Fool
Christopher Moore
February 2009
297 fuck-filled pages

I've already bagged on Christopher Moore, but I'm about to do it some more. Because is there anything worse than when a favorite author goes horribly astray?

Plus, I'm pissed that I spent money for this crap.

Oh, and warning...there will be some cursing. Because it's hard to review a book filled with cursing without tossing in a few swears yourself.

I was really looking forward to Fool, because it's a take-off of King Lear, and I thought that Moore's interpretation of Shakespeare was bound to be hysterical. I mean, look what he did to Jesus (Lamb, in case you're unfamiliar with the Moore pantheon...and I know pantheon is the wrong word, but it just sounds so good).

But no. Instead, we have a book that insults women, gays, the French, the English and pretty much anything else that can be insulted (witches, ghosts, the Church, the poor trees who get bonked by Fool's apprentice). It's dialogue is a bad combination of Austin Powers (think shaggalicious), teenage boys talking about sex, and made-up words. Oft-repeated made-up words. If we took out all the references to the fucking French (because every time the word French appears it's prefaced with fucking) and sex, the book would be about 100 pages long.

And yes, I know it's supposed to be a farce. But page after page of crude and insulting language does not a farce make. It's doesn't even make a book. It makes crap.

And I'm the Fool, since I actually read the damn thing.

24 comment(s):

Fyrefly said...

Hmm. I used to love Christopher Moore, but recently I've been noticing an underlying current of misogyny in a lot of his humor. Sorry to hear that his latest follows the same vein... perhaps I'll wait and just get this one from the library.

Beth F said...

I haven't yet read Moore. I'll be sticking with the earlier stuff. This one sounds annoying.

From Stiff to Fool . . . Is there some kind of message in that?

Lisa said...

Sometimes the worst books make the best reviews. I've only read one Moore and I was pretty eh about it.

(I apologize if you get this comment multiple times, my computer is being funky.)

bkclubcare said...

Ouch. I still do want to read Lamb, tho.

bermudaonion said...

Tell us how you really feel about this one! Just kidding. Sorry this one was a stinker.

Ti said...

I don't care for his style of writing. I'm so sorry you wasted money on this trash!

trish said...

And to think I pondered going to see him do a reading a few days ago on this book.

I do want to read Lamb (I've got it in my hot little hands!), and from what I gather, you liked it?

Bookfool said...

I've read two Moore books and they were just a little too over-the-top for me. If and when I find the others I bought, I'll probably just list them on paperback swap. Too bad he's gone to seed. The books I read were decent, just a little too out there for me.

Wrighty - said...

This was the first review I read and I'm so sorry to hear that it's a stinker. And sorry to hear that you wasted money on it. I've enjoyed some of his earlier work but haven't read this one yet. If I do I'll browse through it at the library before I even check it out much less buy it. Thanks for your review.

barb cabot said...

Jill I'll be going to a Festival of Authors conference this weekend in Long Beach. I'll be thinking of you for this all day event which brings in contemporary women authors. Love reading your reviews.

Dar said...

Sorry you wasted the time and money on this one. I've never read Moore yet and probably won't.

Joanne said...

What an entertaining review! Ya know I want to read this even more after hearing what you thought of it :P Seriously if a book can make you this pissy, I've gotta see what it's like for myself.

However, I do need to know when you say "poor trees who get bonked by Fool's apprentice, do you mean get bumped into bonked or Bonked bonked?

Btw ... my in-laws are French Acadians - it's a given that if I say the word French, fucking is in there somewhere. lol

lisamm said...

I'm glad I read this because after your Lamb review, there was a good chance I would have picked this one up. Thanks for saving me a few bucks!

softdrink said...

I feel a teensy bit bad that I seem to have scared everyone away from Fool. However, I'm sure Moore has plenty of money, so I don't feel that bad. But I still want to hear what someone else thinks of the book, so please, someone's got to step up to the plate!

However, for those of you who are still considering Lamb...read it!

And to answer Joanne's question...bonked bonked.

Oh, and Barb...lucky!!

Amy said...

I've only read one Moore book, and I think it was his first. I've pondered reading others, but haven't yet. I don't think I'll be reading this.

violetcrush said...

Oh my...that bad huh? I wonder what the point of writing the book was. I haven't read a single book by him. I don't know if i might read anything later but I will certainly keep away from this.

Ali said...

I'll be reading it for sure, Softdrink--but I am going to wait for the library copy to come in for me, rather than buying it. (That was my plan before, too--not your fault).

J.S. Peyton said...

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear you hated this book! I've never read a Christopher Moore book and I was considering starting with this one. So far, I've read one nay review (yours) and one yay review (Stephanie at So Many Books), which I guess makes "Fool" just about even in my book. I'd still like to read it though I think I'll be sticking to my plan of waiting for the paperback.

Bookfool said...

Oh Fizzy One,

I can't find you on Facebook, either. Sigh. There are a lot of people with your name, out there! If you have any desire to try again, I'm the Nancy Horner whose photo shows just a chunk of my head -- mostly my curly blonde hair, with a tiny bit of sunglasses.

Ladytink_534 said...

Okay, I may shy away from reading this author after all. Sorry you didn't enjoy it!

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

Okay, this is -- bar none --- one of the best reviews I've ever read. Not only did you call it like it is, but you explained why in such a manner that I absolutely know whether or not I'd like this book. Wow. I need to use you as a model for this stuff!

lilly said...

Wow! I'm glad I didn't buy it. I love Moore, his books are laughing-rolling-on-the-floor hilarious and I want it to remain like that even if it means I'm not buying any new ones.
Thanks for the warning.
I also got 'The American Gods', thank you very much. It really came fast in my opinion. You didn't have to send me a different book thoug, I understand the organization issues better than most, lol.
But because you were no nice and did anyway, I'll have a little something special on its way to you soon. :-)

chartroose said...

Never read him, never will. BTW, I'm going to have to think up some ghost insults. I would think they'd be past caring. Now, I'm going out to hug a tree...

Eric said...

It was the first book by Christopher Moore that I have read.
I am writing to argue that you have missed the point of the book. A Fool's job is to insult everyone possible. He is the only person who can speak truth to power without retribution. He gets license from his patron to do so without punishment. To write a book from the Fool's point of view, without attempting to insult practically everyone, would be bizarre.
Some books require suspension of disbelief.
This one requires suspension of the desire to get offended on behalf of other people.
Give the Fool license to offend without taking offense. That is your role in reading this book.

I found this book hilarious and, as a result of having read it, am going to embark on an orgy of Moore books.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top