- Fizzy Thoughts: The Ha-Ha

The Ha-Ha

Tuesday, February 03, 2009


The Ha-Ha
Dave King
2005
340 pages

Howie went to war (Vietnam), got blown up, lost the ability to read and speak, endured years of therapy, went through a wild phase of drugs and misbehavior, then settled down to a quiet life as a handyman to nuns.

Then his friend (and former high school girlfriend) calls him one day for a favor. Normally, her favors are along the lines of fixing the screen door. This time, however, Sylvia is going into rehab and she wants Howie to take care of her son Ryan.

Luckily, Howie has roommates, and they rally to help him care for Ryan. Although care is a term I use loosely here. Sure Ryan is probably getting more attention than he did from his coked-up mom, but it's still pretty hit and miss, as Howie and Laurel and Nit and Nat (the roommates that Howie doesn't particularly care for) are pretty clueless.

However, before too long, Howie and Ryan (and Laurel and Nit and Nat) have formed a loose bond and their own version of family. A family that still has plenty of ups and downs.

And if you read this book, you will:
  • learn what a ha-ha is,
  • hopefully like it as much as I did,
  • and be able to write a much better review than I did.
Because I'm stopping now and going to bed. So I can get up in the morning and go to work. Of course, I'd much rather stay here and write more posts. But I need to earn money to buy more books to write more posts. It's a vicious circle.

Goodnight.

14 comment(s):

lisamm said...

I'd SO leave my kid with an ex druggie with emotional battle scars who can't speak or read and his f'ed up roommates (Nit and Nat? Sounds like bugs). Why not?

A little far fetched for me, but if you say it's good, I trust you!!

Sleep well.

bermudaonion said...

When I saw your title, I thought you had a joke for us. I want to read it just to find out what a ha-ha is.

Jo-Jo said...

I thought this sounded like a good book too...I actually won it and I am looking forward to reading it! Thanks for the review.

Melanie said...

I'm going to go check it out right now.

Ti said...

I would definitely like to know what a Ha Ha is. I thought you were going to share a joke.

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

You're right...it is a vicious circle this book thing. But this one looks good so I'll work an extra hour to be able to buy it. :)

Dar said...

Sounds interesting. I do like the cover---something so simple about it yet it catches the eye.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

Your review made me go "ha ha". Yes, even tho I don't work "outside the home" I'm caught in the vicious circle, too. Too bad I don't have any family heirlooms I can hock!

chartroose said...

It WAS good, wasn't it? I was so moved by Howie's meltdown scene that I still remember it.

I wish Dave King would write another book!

Dave said...

Hello there. Thanks so much for your kind words about my book. This kind of generous word of mouth has been so important in keeping the novel alive beyond the initial push, so I really appreciate it.

All good wishes to you and your reading friends.

DK

softdrink said...

Lisa - it doesn't read likes its far-fetched...give it a try!

Kathy - it's nothing that you'd expect, that's for sure!

Jo-Jo - yay for contests!

Melanie - hah, a convert! ;-)

Ti - sorry, no joke.

Michele - I'm so sorry I'm making you work more.

Dar - the alternate cover is just as simple and appealing, I think.

Dawn - yep, we all share a sickness. ;-)

chartroose - oh good, a fellow fan.

Dave - thanks for stopping by! Sorry I wasn't more eloquent. Thanks for writing an awesome book!

Joanne said...

Oh I'm glad you enjoyed it! I have this on my list for the Dewey Challenge, so now I'm looking forward to it even more.

bkclubcare said...

This was a fun review. and golly! an author comment!

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Wheelchairs Lightweight

Keep Posting:)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top