- Fizzy Thoughts: Sunday Salon - a movie, a book and Facebook

Sunday Salon - a movie, a book and Facebook

Sunday, February 15, 2009


This afternoon I went to the movies with my mom to see Slumdog Millionaire. Which was excellent. However, the previews seemed an odd choice. They showed trailers for both Watchmen and Wolverine. The woman behind me was not amused...just as the second preview ended she said, "Okay, let's see something real." Granted, I was finding the previews an odd preface to Slumdog Millionaire, but hello? You're at the movies. Nothing is real.

Oh, and note to the older gentleman a few seats back...turn up your hearing aid! Just because you can't hear what's going on and need your wife to repeat the lines, doesn't mean the rest of us want an instant replay.

Oh sorry...am I supposed to be talking about books? Okay then, let's talk about Fool. This is Christopher Moore's latest, and let me tell you...this was a big mistake for Monsieur Moore. Whopping. Fucking huge, in fact, to borrow some of his vocabulary. Because while I'm going to finish the book, and there are sections that are amusing, and while I like the f word probably more than the average reader, this book is turning into one giant fuck-fest. And I mean that in a number of ways that I won't elaborate on. Additionally, even though it's the Middle Ages, the debasement of women is wearing very, verry, verrry thin. I'm starting to feel like Moore phoned this one in. And that he feels like his fame gives him a certain amount of liberty when it comes to insulting people and filling the pages with references to sex.

Finally, in a moment of weakness, I joined Facebook. So far, I have one friend (the same person who talked me into this madness). Anyone out there need another friend? Because Facebook-wise, I look like a total loser. And please, let's just ignore any other ways I might appear to be a loser.

23 comment(s):

gautami tripathy said...

In India, there is a mixed response for this movie. I am yet to go and see it..

My TSS post is up!

Chris said...

Well fucking hell! I'm sorry to hear that Moore's book has been so disappointing. Can't wait to see Slumdog Millionaire!!

bermudaonion said...

I loved Slumdog Millionaire too. The people beside me at Coraline yesterday kept texting and passing their lit phone back and forth. Where have manner gone? I have managed to resist Facebook so far - I'm afraid it will be a huge time drain.

sherry said...

I'm one of the few that didn't like Slumdog. It was entertaining in spots but the extreme hokiness was overbearing by the end. I don't feel bad for seeing it, I'm just amazed that it has been nominated for oscars.

Saw Coraline in 3D the other day. Loved it!

heatherlo said...

I'll totally be your facebook friend! You can search for me via my full name, Heather O'Roark, and I'm from Chicago. :) How fun! (Trish from Hey Lady is on FB too, just fyi.)

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

Send me a friend request! (Do a search for Michele Jacobsen from Washington). Amy from Passages to the Past is also on FB...

Nymeth said...

"This book is turning into one giant fuck-fest. And I mean that in a number of ways that I won't elaborate on." ---> lol! I've heard good things about Moore, but I guess I won't start with fool :P

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog said...

Bummer about the Moore book, but bonus points for using the term "fuck-fest" in a blog post. Love it!

When hubby and I saw Shrek 2 in the theater however many years ago, the older couple behind us narrated the whole thing to each other as well. So annoying! Glad to hear the movie was good, though.

Ali said...

I'm bummed to hear that about Fool, but not terribly surprised. The Moore books that I've loved have been amazing, and the ones I haven't loved have been...not amazing.

Jo-Jo said...

Well I guess I won't be adding Fool to my wish list! I haven't joined Facebook yet, but a couple of coworkers have been hounding me about it.

girasoli said...

I hope you find some friends. I hear there are many on facebook from slow travel and there is even a slow travel facebook page. I am avoiding it. I am already on the computer too much.

kelly said...

hey Ms. Fizzy Beverage -- I saw you on another book site and know about your famous self from Josh Henkin.

Would you like to do a giveaway with my book, Standing Still? Or a guest blog?

Would the fact that my entire family lives on the Central Coast help sway you???

Kelly Simmons

Bookfool said...

I'm a Facebook person, although I'm fairly new and only have a handful of friends. How are you signed up? By your real name? I'll friend you if I can find you.

Bookfool said...

Oh, hmm, probably should tell you I'm Nancy Horner in Vicksburg, MS. I wanted to put "In Vicksburg against my will" but decided someone might see it.

Joanne said...

...while I like the f word probably more than the average reader
LMAO! That was hilarious even though it's upsetting to hear Fool wasn't that great.

I'm on Facebook, friend me - Joanne Mosher Halifax, Nova Scotia. I still don't quite see the point in it, other than being a total time-killer and I like to overuse the 'poke' feature if I'm feeling particularly annoying (mwhaa haa haa)

softdrink said...

gt - I'd be interested to hear what you think, if you see it.

Chris - fucking hell pretty much says it all.

Kathy - yes, it is (a time drain).

Sherry - I didn't know about the Oscars (I'm afraid I'm totally out of that loop).

Heather, Michele and Joanne - thanks for being my friend.

Nancy...I can't find you! :-( I'm Jill Powers, though, if you come back and read this.

Nymeth - Lamb. Start with Lamb.

Rebecca, Ali and Jo-Jo - I haven't seen any other reviews, yet, so it'll be interesting to see what others think.

girasoli - Thanks, I really should get back into reading the SlowTrav forums!

Kelly - thanks, I'll be in touch.

Melissa said...

Ditto on the friend request: Melissa Fox in Wichita, KS. :) And I really ought to see Slumdog Millionaire, sometime; I've heard nothing but good about it.

Anne said...

Oh hey, I'm on facebook too. Don't use it much other than to chat with my best friend and/or my daughter in the evenings if can't see them in person. I'm so not a phone person, so the chatting is perfect. I know a lot of people use it for game playing and stuff, but I don't like adding applications that can access my info! I'll look you up. Neat that Joanne is from Halifax, because I am sitting in my office in Halifax right now (although live outside the city)!

My fave Moore book is Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff...had me rolling in the aisles! Can't even think about the beatitudes anymore without hearing "blessed are the dumbfucks" in my head! My minister friend and I joked about doing that book for a Sunday book club but there are more than a few in our congregation who would not be amused.

lisamm said...

Another facebooker here :-) Thanks for friending me!

Kristina said...

I'm on facebook too! Kristina Patton in West Virginia! Glad you joined!

Ladytink_534 said...

Sorry don't do FaceBook.

If it makes you feel any better I found an icon that reminded me of you today!

claire said...

I haven't seen SlumDog Millionaire but have read the book it was based on when it came out, Q&A, and I loved it, it was preposterous but so so funny. My husband kept giving me these looks because I was laughing so hard sometimes.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

Your *Fool* review was hysterical - just what I needed, thanks!

I resisted Facebook until about a month ago. I'm on in the morning and again in the evening ... I've been trying to limit my time there! Anyone who wants to can follow my blog on "networked blogs", then you see the title and first line or two on your "home" page ...

I signed up for Twitter, too, just to grab "my" name (TooFondOfBooks over there), but I haven't starting tweeting yet :)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top