- Fizzy Thoughts: Sunday Salon

Sunday Salon

Sunday, February 08, 2009


I blame it on the rain. And the cover art.

Saturday, I had errands to run. Which meant a trip into San Luis Obispo. Which therefore means a stop by the bookstore. Since it was raining, the errands were done, and I had nothing better to do, I was just cruising through various sections trying to find something different. Suddenly, this book caught my eye:


Floating people and a cool title...and an author whose name sounds like he should be writing 18th century French novels. I had to know more. Although I didn't end up buying this particular book, I did go home with Dreams Underfoot (also with a cool cover), which I spent most of the rest of the weekend reading.


Oh My God. How did I get to be 39 years old without having read a Charles de Lint book? (Actually, how did I get to be 39 period, but that's another post.) I spent a good deal of my teenage years reading science fantasy, but I never came across de Lint. Oh wait. Maybe that's because he wasn't published back then. Gads, I am getting old.

Okay, enough about age.

I wouldn't classify Charles de Lint as typical fantasy fare. Evidently, he gets major kudos for developing the genre of urban fantasy, but even if you've never met a fantasy book you liked I'd dare you not to like de Lint. He's mixing fantasy and folklore and urban grittiness and music and the message of being nice to your fellow man and tossing in a dash of punk. And it totally works. Because he's subtle. De Lint doesn't beat you over the head with faeries or important messages, but if you pay attention and look closely, they are there.

Don't believe me? Go read him for yourself.

16 comment(s):

Ti said...

Looks like a lot of us visited bookstores this weekend.

I've never heard of De Lint! Glad you got to spend the day with a new author.

I too, spent the day reading. I am 5 pages away from finishing The Terror but I am waiting for my daughter to hit the sack before I do so.

unfinishedperson.com said...

I'm almost 40 (June) and wonder how I got here too. ;)

As for de Lint, I've never read anything by him, but have heard only good things about his work.

katayoun said...

i'm so not talking about age :) but on the urban fantasy subject, i wanted to add emmma bull's (war for the oaks,...) and also will shetterly (elsewhere, nevernever,...) just in case you haven't heard about them

sherry said...

This was a good weekend for reading. I can't remember the last time I did this but I read a book from start to finish on Sat. The book: "Songs for the Missing."

Chris said...

I totally agree! It's near impossible not to like de Lint. And he always has some amazing cover artists. Dreams Underfoot is done by John Jude Palencar who does a number of his covers...I love his art work! My favorite de Lint is Moonheart...it's amazing!

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

I love De Lint and have most of his books. Glad to hear you enjoyed Widdershins. His stories are very interesting and engaging. Have fun!

Eva said...

Widdershins was my first de Lint, which is funny since it's almost the last in the Newford series, which I'm now reading in order! :D So far, my favourite has been The Little Country, which is a stand alone novel.

bermudaonion said...

It sounds like you should have bought both of the books. Hey, 39 is not old!

Kristi said...

I have never read any de Lint either - but I am a few years your senior (so I agree with Bermudaonion - 39 is not old!) I have added him to my TBR list - your description of his book intrigued me.

Beth F said...

39??? Hummm can I remember back that far??? (LOL!)

Anyway, I'm a huge fantasy fan and I haven't read any of these books. Yikes! Where have *I* been the last whatever number of years? I'm so happy you posted about these.

Ali said...

You crack me up. I felt the same way when I turned 39 (And 40. And 41.). As for de Lint, you've sold me on him. I love finding genre books that hold appeal for non-genre readers like me.

Dar said...

I've heard of de Lint but never read any although it sounds as though I should.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

Thanks for introducing us to a new author ... sounds like a hit!

As for the "Big 4-0", the first year I celebrated the anniversary of my 39th birthday was wonderful ... plan a special get-away!

priscilla said...

39 indeed (40 in July...gulp). I just added de Lint's the Little Country to my TBR list. Now I want to add Widdershins just because I love that title.

lilly said...

I really like Charles De Lint, I still have a few books I haven't read yet and looking forward to them.

Ladytink_534 said...

I actually own a book of short stories by de Lint but the only thing I've ever read by him was his contribution to an anthology.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top