- Fizzy Thoughts: Sunday Salon

Sunday Salon

Sunday, February 22, 2009



I just finished Reading in the Dark. No the power isn't out. That's the book...Reading in the Dark. And I don't know what to say about it. Other than Fool, which I totally blasted this week, I've been pretty ambivalent about writing reviews lately. Maybe it's because most of the books I've been reading have just been mediocre? Which is a bummer, because I'm definitely not inspired to gush about them. Or tear them apart. Books that fall into this category of mediocrity include Mrs. Dalloway (and I don't care who the author is, you can't make me like her), Giovanni's Room (actually, I liked this one, but I still don't know what to say) and a boy of good breeding (although I do have thoughts about what would have made this one more interesting...hmmm, maybe I should write that review after all).



Back to Giovanni's Room, a book by James Baldwin. This is a book I had never heard of until I stumbled across it on a Black History table at B&N earlier this month. Did you know February is Black History Month? Of course, you could argue that Black History is a huge portion of American History, and that if American History was actually taught in a more comprehensive, less "America is just peachy" style, we wouldn't need a Black History Month. Or a Women's History Month.



So. Giovanni's Room. It has a white protagonist. In fact, all of the characters are white. Seems an odd choice, then, for a table meant to celebrate black history. Maybe they were too afraid to make a table for GLBTQI (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex) history? Because Giovanni's Room focuses on the narrator's struggles with sexuality and alienation.



As usual, I'm rambling. Maybe I should just go and attempt to finish some of these write-ups? It's either that, or stare at the bookshelves hoping that the next book that I pick up will knock my socks off.

8 comment(s):

Eva said...

Women's History Month is next month! I've been reading quite a few books for Black History month, but I should definitely make more of an effort the rest of the year, you know?

I think writing reviews about 'meh' books is the hardest of all, so I totally sympathise with you. I'm way behind on reviews. *sigh*

Ali said...

This post cracked me up--and I so agree with you about Black History Month. The good news is, B&N wasn't out of their minds. James Baldwin could write about whatever he wanted to and still belong on the Black History Month table. :-)

lilly said...

LOL! You are too funny. And I do agree with you on 'Mrs. Dalloway' and not caring who the author is. I actually never liked Woolfe.

bkclubcare said...

I loved Mrs. Dalloway and hope to re-read it someday. And I never re-read stuff. Which means either that I'll never get around to it or I'll hate it the second time.

Dar said...

I don't even think I got through Mrs. Dalloway---not my thing that one. I'm having a crappy reading month. I just can't seem to concentrate long enough to get anywhere in what I'm reading and the books I have started are actually good. That makes me kind of pathetic-lol.

Kristen said...

LOL! Woolf is very hit or miss with me but I completely understand you're comment about "you can't make me like her." Hope your reading month is better in March!

Wendy said...

You're post made me smile - thank you for that! I hate when I have a run on books which just do not excite me...I'm reading Chocolat right now and although the writing is pretty, the story is just so-so for me right now. And I wanted to love it. Oh well...

Ladytink_534 said...

Ugh, nothing... well almost nothing worse than slogging through a review on a "meh" book :(

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top