- Fizzy Thoughts: Too Much Information?

Too Much Information?

Thursday, February 05, 2009


Have you ever been put off an author’s books after reading a biography of them? Or the reverse - a biography has made you love an author more?

Well, I’ve certainly been put off of an author’s books after having read one of their books, but I usually don’t pay much attention to their biography. I will confess to boycotting Tom Cruise’s movies because I think he’s a total ass as a person, but as far as authors go, I can’t think of anyone.

James Frey certainly got a lot of flak after his true biography came out, but I wouldn’t let that stop me from reading his books. I just haven’t read any more of his books because they don’t interest me.

I love Christopher Moore because he’s funny (I can’t wait to read Fool), and I like him even more because he used to be a local and one of his books uses this area as a setting. But he could have never lived here and I still would like him.

Ann Coulter might qualify, but again, I just avoid her books because I have no interest in reading that crap. If she wrote amazing fiction, I might forgive her for her militant conservatism. Maybe. Since she’s not writing anything I’m interested in, I don’t really have to worry about it.

So….I guess my answer is no. And please don’t disillusion me and tell me that all my favorite authors are closet Nazis.

9 comment(s):

Joanne said...

I agree with this answer. I could care less if an author what an does/thinks in their spare time. It's their writing that I'm interested in.

Although if I read a book that I feel has only been written in order to spread a message/belief with no concern to the quality of the writing/story, it's very likely I'll avoid the author in the future.

I'm not sure if that contradicts my original statement, but I want to read books by authors who want to share a story, not a belief. I think it is disrespectful to all writers for people to use fiction as a tool rather than a passion.

*not your fave author but I firmly believe that S.Meyer uses Nazi-like brainwashing techniques*

(shrugs)

*or she could just be an alien*

:P

Literate Housewife said...

You know, I was with you on Tom Cruise, especially being someone who suffered from PPD and GREATLY improved with some meds. However, after seeing Tropic Thunder, I have forgiven him. I think he was just taking himself much too seriously there for a little while.

I'm not interested in reading rabid political stuff from anyone. Not Ann Coulter, not Al Franken. To me, it's all unnecessary, especially when people are attacked for their political opinions. Like art, I choose to separate political opinions from the person. I think everyone is entitled to their own world view. Is long as they aren't shoving that view down my throat, I'm good.

BTW, I got my book in the mail and I want to thank you for it! It's wonderful and I am looking forward to writing my review. I'm planning on offering it to someone else. Sharing a great book is one of the best feelings.

Bookfool said...

I've boycotted Tom Cruise, too.

softdrink said...

Joanne - she's not a zombie, though...the zombies wouldn't admit her!
Good point about beliefs...I avoid those too...especially when it comes to new agey or self-help books.

Lit Housewife - yeah, no interest in Al, either. And you're welcome! I look forward to reading your review.

Bookfool - excellent!

Florinda said...

Tom Cruise is a good example of why it's sometimes hard to separate the creator from the work, but I think it's easier to do that with authors than with actors.

And I'd probably like Christopher Moore regardless too. He'll be in town next week for the Fool book tour, but we can't go. I'm SO bummed - but can't wait to get the book!

Wrighty - said...

I can't wait to read Christopher Moore's new book! He cracks me up. That's so cool that he's a local. It's strange to read about places you know. I'm with you on the political and religious books. I'm just not interested but that's an easy fix, I just won't read them. It's all about personal choice.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I haven't read many biographies about authors, but here's my experience about how an autobiography tainted my opinion of an artist.

Stephanie said...

I adore Christopher Moore. He's pee-your-pants-funny, how could anyone NOT love him???

I have to admit, after learning about Roald Dahl's anti-Semitism, it makes me view his writing in a different way. It's still good, I just...I have a hard time reading him and not thinking about it, you know? :(

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

Ann Coulter...ugh. I don't even consider her a writer...she's a spewer.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top