- Fizzy Thoughts: Tuesday Teaser

Tuesday Teaser

Tuesday, February 10, 2009


  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
  • Please avoid spoilers!

Warning: grossness ahead!

Richardson came across a reference to anatomists cooking down human bones and fat into “into a substance like Spermaceti,” which they used to make candles and soap. Whether these were used in the anatomists’ homes or were given away as gifts were not noted, but between these and the gastric-juice-etched nameplates, it’s safe to say you really didn’t want your name on an anatomist’s Christmas gift list.

From Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach, p. 48.

12 comment(s):

Nymeth said...

Eek! Gross and creepy, but it does make a good teaser :P

chartroose said...

That's a cool book! I enjoyed it.

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog said...

I *love* Mary Roach, and Stiff is my favorite of her books. The gross-out factor can get kind of high, but it's definitely worth it.

Nise' said...

Eewww..not sure if I can handle the gross out factor.

Beth F said...

Oooh. I loved Stiff. It was an amazing book. But then I took and taught anatomy labs....

Kristi said...

Ewww - Not sure I could read this book!

Jacquie L Reaville said...

On the list. Great teaser.

softdrink said...

It is gross...but it's also really interesting. I don't recommend reading it while on your lunch break, though.

thornesworld said...

Excellent teaser!
My Teaser

menehune said...

This is fun - Love your blog.
Here's my teaser:
http://pono12.blogspot.com/

Dar said...

Makes an interesting teaser but still...'yuck!'

avisannschild said...

Ew, ew, ew! Thanks for the warning before this one! I don't think I'd want to read this book.

Thanks too for visiting my blog!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top