- Fizzy Thoughts: the ultimate word problem

the ultimate word problem

Friday, February 13, 2009

Hamburger is a General Contractor, which means he works with some colorful characters. Today, one of the tile guys showed up at the job site all excited because he had just figured out something that had evidently been bugging him for 20 years:

How many joints are smoked in Bob Marley's song "Smoke Two Joints?"

I'm serious here. He figured it out to be 18 joints. (Two in the am, two in the afternoon, two in the pm, plus the two he smokes both before and after he smokes two.)

After I finished laughing hysterically at Hamburger's story, I just had to do a little Google research to see if his math skills were at all hindered by his obvious extracurricular activities. I found this post (at a surfing website, of course), which also factors in the two in time of peace and war, plus the two before and after, for a grand total of 24. He also has an excellent point about infinite progression, but I'm not going there.

However, there's also a line about smoking in the car, and when playing a video game, so my final answer is 36.

And this just goes to show, math can be relevant to your daily life.

12 comment(s):

bkclubcare said...

Just read this to the hub... still laughing too hard to actually comment anything relevnamt.

what? what we were we talking about?

lisamm said...

My answer is your answer, 36. Dang, one half of one and I can't function, LOL. At least that is the way I remember it from my college days. I also remember eating peanut butter straight out of the jar, but that is another story.

Beth F said...

LOL!!!!! Too funny. I leave the higher math to you.

Joanne said...

Lol yeah I would say that 36 is the right answer.
But I don't think Bob Marley ever sang that song - I've got the album with Sublime's cover of this song on it and liner says written by the Toyes in '83 and far as I know Marley died before that. I could be wrong on this :/

Lexi said...

Hahahaha! That guy is awesome for bringing this important question to the forefront of our busy lives. I'm glad someone figured it out!

girasoli said...

That sure is a lot of joints to smoke daily! I found this video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbCwEoYCaK8
There is also "at every 10,000 points" so when he scores high, he smokes even more? Great math problem :)

Ali said...

Hmmm, wonder if I should assign this song to my kids as a homeschool math lesson?

Lisa said...

That's too funny. I can just picture the original conversation.

softdrink said...

Care - we're still laughing about it, here!

Lisa - I never inhaled!!

Beth - higher math? Is that a pun? ;-)

Joanne - as you know, I'm equally confused. I'll have to ask one of Hamburger's surf buddies when he gets back from MX...I know he'll know!

Lexi - leave it to the stoners...

girasoli - I think the 10,000 points is only in the Toyes version. And the Sublime version is different, too...so we've got multiple word problems! Which is good news for Ali's math lesson...

Ali - I can just picture it...

Lisa - Hamburger was quite animated in the retelling...he said he was laughing so hard at work he had tears in his eyes.

grayskyeyes said...

Ha ha ha :)

Kim

Fyrefly said...

Hee hee hee! I'm going to have to go listen to that song, now, to see how many I come up with!

bookoholic13 said...

Finally a proper application problem - those in school were always about random boats driving up- and downriver!

Awesome!!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top