- Fizzy Thoughts: Weekly Geeks 2009-04

Weekly Geeks 2009-04

Monday, February 02, 2009

This week's Weekly Geek is from Chris:

#1. What are you passionate about besides reading and blogging? For example, are you crafty (knitting, woodworking, scrapbooking, model building)? Do you cook? Into gaming (computer or board)? Sports (player or spectator)? Photography? Maybe you like geocaching, rock climbing? Or love attending events like renaissance fairs, concerts? Music? Dancing? You get the idea.
Tell us why you're passionate about it. Post photos of what you've made or of yourself doing whatever it is you love doing.


#2. Get us involved. Link to tutorials, recipes, Youtube videos, websites, fan sites, etc, anything that will help us learn more about your interest or how to do your hobby. Maybe you'd like to link to another hobbyist whose work you admire or tell us about a book or magazine related to your interest.

#3. Visit other Weekly Geeks. Link in your post to other Geeks who've peaked your interest in their passion. Or maybe you might find a fellow aficionado among us, link to them.


Let's talk about travel.

I love to go places, preferably places I've never been. Unfortunately, I like to go places far away, and I love to go for long periods of time. Since this can get expensive, and I have to work to finance these trips (not to mention books), the travel doesn't happen as much as I would like. But I have been able to take some marvelous trips in the past 5 years.

In 2005 I spent 3 weeks in London. This was my first overseas trip since I spent 3 months in London as a college student, followed by the summer backpacking across Europe with a Eurail pass.


In 2006 I went to Seattle and Victoria, British Columbia. I even wrote about my trip, in the form of a trip report for Slow Travel. This was my first solo trip, and I have to say, travelling alone is a blast.


In 2007 it was Italy for 4 weeks. I wrote a trip report for this one, too, so you can read all about my adventures here.



There was also a quick and cold trip to Green Bay, Wisconsin. I do believe I have a Green Bay tag, so you can click on it to read why Hamburger and I decided to risk frostbite for a trip to the frozen tundra.


And last year I went to Savannah. It was beautiful, although quite buggy.



There were also some Hawaii trips and reunions at Sunriver, Oregon mixed in there, as well.



Currently, I have no trips planned, which is a bit unusual. I might go to Croatia, but that wouldn't be until next year. And the economy needs to perk up a bit, otherwise my overseas travel buddies (my mom and the pseudo-in-laws (aka Hamburger's mom and her husband)) won't be able to go. My feet are getting a little itchy...today I went to the bookstore and stared at the books in the travel section.



My favorite travel site/resource is Slow Travel, a fantastic community of travellers who also like to meet up in person for great parties. In fact, I spent most of this past weekend with some of the group, at the third annual Slow Bowl, a weekend filled with great food, wine tasting and fun people. Slow Travel is all about slowing down...spending time in a vacation rental and soaking in the local culture, as opposed to the rushing around to see as much as you can during a short trip.



I also love buying guidebooks prior to a trip. My favorites are the Eyewitness Guides, because they have gorgeous color photographs of the places and sites. However, they weigh a frickin' ton, so I never take them with me on a trip. I do like to take the Access guides with me, though. I like how they focus on the individual neighborhoods of cities.



As for other Geeks, Nymeth talked about how difficult it is to juggle hobbies. I agree. Something always seems to suffer. Tasses is a scrapbooker, and one of the pages she features in her post just happens to have a pile of Eyewitness Guides. As far as travelling goes, I think I found a kindred spirit in Lou.

30 comment(s):

sherry said...

Are those your photos? Very nice. Love the Seattle pic.

BTW - I'm doing my first giveaway. Yikes.

Eva said...

I loved this post!!! I want one of my hobbies to be travelling, just as soon as I have a job. As it is, I haven't been outside of the country since I studed abroad in Russia back in 2005. *sigh* It's been way too long.

LisaMM said...

I heard that you might be planning a trip to Los Angeles in April! Do tell!

Melody said...

Wow! I love those pics! I love travelling too!

girasoli said...

Fun reading a brief description of your travels. Where in Italy was the photo of the headless person on the bench taken?

Nymeth said...

Your pictures are beautiful! I love travelling too. And slow travel sounds like such a great idea...I don't like rushed trips where I end up feeling like I haven't actually seen anything at all.

Annie said...

Fun to read this post. I didn't know you lived in London for three months! I love that city. I heard on the radio this morning that London is paralyzed by the worse snowstorm in two decades!

Beth F said...

Nice post! I love to travel too. If the economy doesn't perk up, I'll be tied to home -- or least I won't be leaving the country.

softdrink said...

Sherry - yep, all mine. :-D Good luck with the giveaway!

Eva - I didn't travel for quite awhile due to lack of funds, too. When you have the time, you don't have the money...and vice versa.

Lisa - d'oh! how could I forget!

Meloday - thank you!

girasoli - the headless person is from Ostia Antica...there were lots of headless statues there.

Nymeth - it's a fantastic website...everyone is so friendly.

Annie - London is my absolute favorite place. I did a quarter study abroad program in college...too bad it wasn't for a year!

Beth - Fortunately, the US is plenty big, so we still have options!

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

Oh gosh, Croatia is one of my favorite destinations...I do hope you get to go sometime!

Now what you need to do is post about your trip plans before you leave so if any of your fellow bloggers live around your destination, we can treat you to lunch and our favorite local bookstore!

lilly said...

I love London and traveling in general. i hope that one day i'll have enough resources to go places. Since I cannot do it yet I am very glad for posts like this one with wonderful pictures. Thanks.

Chris said...

I'd love to travel but I don't have the moneys!

Bogsider said...

Oh you definitely found a kindred spirit in me! One of the places I really want to go to is Savannah!!! I am SO envious. I visited Seattle myself in 2007 (part of the trip where we also visited California) and loved it. But I didn't manage to snap such a great photo as the one you have. Wow!!!

bermudaonion said...

I love to travel too, but don't get to do it much, and never for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. I absolutely love Savannah.

anne said...

I was going to ask about the headless statue too. And now have another reason why I want to visit Ostia Antica, which is already on my list of side trips from Rome when next I go there. Am "not allowed" to return to Rome without my sister though, so it won't make it on any solo travel itineraries! Excellent post - thanks!!

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

How do you get away for weeks at a time?!

books and travel are great crossover hobbies, you can read while prepping/dreaming about a trip. I like to read fiction set in the place I'm visiting, as well as the usual travel guides.

Dar said...

Great post Jill. I love the photos-they're awesome. I really enjoy reading about everyone else's travels since I'm scared to fly. lol.

softdrink said...

Michele - you've been to Croatia?!? I may be picking your brain at some point!

lilly - how sweet...thank you.

Chris - that's why travelogues can be so much fun! And it took years of dreaming before I was able to travel again.

Lou - wasn't Seattle gorgeous? I think you'd love Savannah!

Kathy - someday I want to see more of the south...Savannah was just my introduction.

Anne - Ostia Antica was fantastic! Especially the mosaics. It's also less crowded and smaller than Pompeii, so it's easier to see in one day.

Dawn - I hoard my vacation time (which is pretty easy, since I get 4 weeks/year). I love to read travel writing and fiction set in the place I'm about to visit.

Thanks Dar! And flying is safer than driving! At least, that's what I keep telling myself. I also try to ignore all the plane crash stories.

bookmoochgirl said...

I've always wanted to go to London. I love your photos so I linked you up on my Weekly Geeks post. :)

Ladytink_534 said...

Beautiful pics!

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Ultra Light Wheelchair


Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Heavy Duty Wheelchair

Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Karma Vip 515 Wheelchair

Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Karma Km 5000 Wheelchair

Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Recliner Wheelchair Sale

Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Karma Ergolite 2501

Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Karma S-Ergo 105 Manual Wheelchair

Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Golden Motor Wheelchair

Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Wheelchair Travel

Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Wheelchair Transportation

Keep Posting:)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top