- Fizzy Thoughts: Weekly Geeks 2009-05

Weekly Geeks 2009-05

Monday, February 09, 2009

This week it's all about judging books by their covers! Pick a book--any book, really--and search out multiple book cover images for that book. They could span a decade or two (or more)...Or they could span several countries. Which cover is your favorite? Which one is your least favorite? Which one best 'captures' what the book is about?

Because I am (slowly) reading Anna Karenina, and also because I hate the cover of the edition I'm reading, I decided to see what all is out there.

This is my copy:


I actually had to show it to my friend Rochelle, because I couldn't figure out what it was! Once I had the thought of what it looked like (but also what I knew it couldn't be) in my head, I couldn't see anything else. Luckily, Rochelle recognized the knees in the picture. However, now I know why the book came with this obnoxious Oprah sash strategically placed:


This next cover isn't much better. Yes, yes Anna...we get it. You have cleavage. Now please put that shawl around you. Isn't it supposed to be cold in Russia?

I actually like this one, although it's clearly a modern picture. The dress is way too short for Anna's time. And she looks like she's in prison. But I like it.


Here's another non-English cover. It's different.


Here's Anna looking like an invalid:


And an audio book image. Couldn't they find a train that was a little more evocative of the age?

Whoa...what do we have here? Dig those sideburns.


Hmmm, not bad...


In England, it's not about the cleavage, evidently it's all about the back. Ooooooh, and note the scary train.


Anna, Anna, Anna...this is not a good look for you. I think you need a new shade of lipstick.

Here we have the gothic look:


Hey, flowers again. And more cleavage.


Anna in a reflective moment. Whatcha thinkin' about, Anna?

And this one has a bit of a Russian look...maybe it's the hat?


And finally, the understated version, in which we get to use our imagination.

After looking at all those scary renderings of Anna, I think I like this last one the most. And its boring! My own copy remains my least favorite, simply because the knees do not look like knees. Although the profile shot with the lips is quite scary, too. Someone needs to design a cover that does Anna justice!

(Apologies if the spacing is off in this post...too many pictures and Blogger wigs out. And for once, I'm not going to fight it.)

26 comment(s):

bermudaonion said...

I got a chuckle out of this post, because I thought that top one was the same thing you did. I have to say I like the cover where Anna looks like an invalid to you.

bkclubcare said...

I have the same copy you have. Well, somewhere - I have it buried somewhere around here...

Louise said...

Great post and a fun "assignment" this week in Weekly Geeks. I haven't done it myself yet, but hope I will find time to do it during the week.

Ramya said...

you'd think a book like "anna karenina" would have inspired cover artists.. but the covers seem to be absolutely horrendous! What was with the red lipstick? I actually liked the last one the best as well.. might as well have no cover image if you are not going to have a pretty image, right?

Jo-Jo said...

Oh my goodness...this just made me laugh! I have the same one as you but never thought of the picture as anything but knees...but I will never look at this book the same again! lol

Amy @ Passages to the Past said...

I have the copy you have as well...it's not great, but it's sure better than the rest of them. The story's a classic you would think they could find something that fits!

sherry said...

Never knew this book had fun potential. Nice work, softdrink.

Eva said...

I have the same copy as you, but I really like it (I think because of the colours and the side flaps)...I always just looked at it as knees, lol, so now I'll be looking at it a bit differently!

trish said...

Oh god, your commentary is priceless. I'd take one of these posts from you every day. :-)

Actually, the one where she's holding up her red dress (or is that a sheet?) is my favorite.

marta said...

This is great. I can't remember what was on the Penguin copy that I read in the early '90s but your post about them is so fun. I really like the English one with the scary train. :)

Melody said...

LOL. I enjoyed reading your commentary.

I'd say the last three covers are not too bad... and I think my least favourite will be the first one. I thought it looks like a YA book at first glance. ;P

Lisa said...

Most of those are horrible! I like the second one (with the oprah thing) best, and then the last one. The woman on the scary train one is pretty scary herself.

girasoli said...

What a hilarious post! Loved your comments on the different covers. I think I like the gothic cover the best. I wonder why they make so many different covers.

I am set to post my letter G tomorrow :)

claire said...

Hahaha your comments are a hoot. I really love the design of the fourth one, where her dress is too short and she looks like she's in a prison to you.. but I would love that in some other book.. it's too modern for this one, as you said.

So given that, my first choice would be number five, the black-and-white face in side view. However, realistically, I would probably buy the copy that you have because that's the translation I want to read. :(

Kerrie said...

they are all very different aren't they?

Maree said...

Oh they're knees!!! I was thinking something else as well.
Happy Weekly Geeks :)

Dreamybee said...

I think I'm with you on liking the last one.

lilly said...

Wow! A lot of covers for this one huh? I have to say I love the book but the covers withthe trains are just a tid bit obvious.

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog said...

Quite an interesting array...it does seem that poor Anna is in the same boat with Hester Prynne--no one knows how to make a good book cover for them!

Melissa said...

The only thought I had about the lipstick one was that maybe it's not Anna (isn't she supposed to be young and attractive?) but rather maybe it's Tolstoy in drag. Or his mom.

Loved your comments... :)

Dorte H said...

Oh, that was a tough one. I think I like the 9th cover, the blue one.

Linda said...

Yup, I thought the same thing you did on the first one. I like the modern one too.

Frances said...

Fantastically entertaining post and about my favorite book too! Alas, I have the plain jane cover you featured last, but it does just fine for me. Spares me the invalid pose or the floral imagery of the first I suppose.

marineko said...

I have the same version you have (the Oprah one), although I rather like it. Not because of the picture, but because it's black and white, and is an uncut edition (the pages are not even) which I love.

Dar said...

Wow, it amazes me how many different covers there are. My favorite is the gothic one although I had the same copy as you.

gautami tripathy said...

I love the black and white one!

Covered!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top