- Fizzy Thoughts: The Book You've Never Read

The Book You've Never Read

Thursday, March 05, 2009


We’ve all seen the lists, we’ve all thought, “I should really read that someday,” but for all of us, there are still books on “The List” that we haven’t actually gotten around to reading. Even though we know they’re fabulous. Even though we know that we’ll like them. Or that we’ll learn from them. Or just that they’re supposed to be worthy. We just … haven’t gotten around to them yet.

What’s the best book that YOU haven’t read yet?

There are many books that are considered must reads that I never plan to read. Gone With the Wind and most anything by Jane Austen spring to mind. However, these are the books that I would like to read. Someday.
  • Lolita - just because the name Lolita holds so much meaning.
  • Dracula - I actually bought a copy a few months ago, so he's made himself at home in the bookshelf. Maybe I'll wait 'til Halloween and really creep myself out.
  • Half of a Yellow Sun - I will be reading this one sometime this year, as it is on my list for the Dewey's Books Challenge. So is The Book Thief, which I've noticed on plenty of other BTT lists this week.
  • Never Let Me Go - because I need to know the secret!

Given more time (an an earlier start to this post) I could go on, but if I keep going this will turn into Booking Through Friday.

11 comment(s):

Wrighty said...

I've been trying to read The Book Thief forever too and you weren't the last person to read Sarah's Key. That person will be me.

Your blog looks great! I love the colors. They didn't come through right when I was here the other day but it looks good now. I got my book from you today. The Historian made it all the way form CA to NY. Thanks so much! I don't know if I'll get to that one first or the others I already mentioned but I really look forward to reading it! :)

Ladytink_534 said...

I have three copies of Dracula and I still have never read it lol.

Melanie said...

You've got some great books on your list. All worth reading. And all good for different readons.

Joanne said...

Never Let Me Go is a must-read!! Seriously, read this asap. How is it possible that you haven't read Lolita? What books did they teach you in High School? I thought this was on most all required reading lists.

Beth F said...

Half a Yellow Sun has come up a couple of times in this meme. I haven't read it.

Never Let Me Go -- sometimes I feel as I were being bullied into reading it. That alone turns me off. I'll get to it one of these days.

Ramya said...

I've read all the books on your list except for Dracula.. I need to get my hands on that sometime as well! You should should read the Book thief.. I totally enjoyed reading it!

Ti said...

Lolita is one of my fave books but it's one of those books that you read and go "Hmmmmm." It's a complex novel but at first pass, there doesn't seem to be much to it.

My book club is reading Half of a Yellow Sun in May so that is on my list as well.

Charley said...

Dracula is good and creepy after-dark reading.

Bookfool said...

I've failed to read Dracula, Gone With the Wind and Never Let Me Go. Of those three, Gone With the Wind is the only one that I plan to give another try -- in spite of the fact that I've failed not once but 3 times. Yikes. Sometimes a book just doesn't work for a particular reader, I suppose.

Tina Kubala said...

Oh, I didn't think of Lolita. I would love to read it. See what the fuss is about, you know.

Stephanie said...

Lolita is very readable. I finished it up when I had the flu one year, lol, that's how readable it was (this past flu, I read the Twilight books). It IS complex, but it's one that stays with you afterwards, not one that you struggle with every page.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top