- Fizzy Thoughts: Mrs. Dalloway

Mrs. Dalloway

Sunday, March 08, 2009


Mrs. Dalloway
Virginia Woolf
first published 1925
216 pages

This is what I was supposed to feel:

"Mrs. Dalloway was the first novel to split the atom. If the novel before Mrs. Dalloway aspired to immensities of scope and scale, to heroic journeys across vast landscapes, with Mrs. Dalloway Virginia Woolf insisted that it could also locate the enormous within the everyday; that a life of errands and party-giving was every bit as viable a subject as any life lived anywhere; and that should any human act in any novel seem unimportant, it has merely been inadequately observed. The novel as an art form has not been the same since. Mrs. Dalloway also contains some of the most beautiful, complex, incisive and idiosyncratic sentences ever written in English, and that alone would be reason enough to read it. It is one of the most moving, revolutionary artworks of the twentieth century." -Michael Cunningham, author of The Hours

This is how I really felt:

"Huh?"

15 comment(s):

Ali said...

*snort!* Thank you. Now I can go to bed smiling.

Dreamybee said...

Interesting. I really liked The Hours, but I don't know if I would like Mrs. Dalloway or not. I've read one Virgina Woolf (Orlando) and don't really have much desire to read another.

bermudaonion said...

You are so funny! Sorry the book didn't work for you.

Ti said...

I did not get Mrs. Dalloway either. We even read it for my book club and we just stared at one another.

Annie said...

LOL. I took a whole semester of Virgina Woolf in college and loved it mainly because I loved the professor. That said, I've never had the desire to re-read any of her books since then. :)

Nymeth said...

I've been avoiding this book because I fear that would be my reaction too. I loved The Hours, though.

Pam said...

Well, now you have me curious. I'll have to give this a go. I've loved every other Woolf that I've read.

Jo-Jo said...

Oh how funny! I haven't read any Woolf yet, so I really can't comment myself.

Dar said...

lol-I'm with you on this one...Huh?

bkclubcare said...

You are TOO funny. I actually have this as a book I *might* re-read some day.

Bookfool said...

Whew! Glad to know. I couldn't get through this one because it started out "Huh?" and went downhill from there, IMHO.

heatherlo said...

Haha, that was exactly what I thought when I read it. :)

lilly said...

LMAO! You're hilarious. But I have always felt like you about the whole 'Virginia Woolf' craze. I don't get her or her writing and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Joanne said...

Haha that's awesome! You should start a new event where you post a popular or classic book and people have to reply with the first word they think of in relation to it. Gives the term 'literary analysis' a whole new meaning :D

valentina said...

ah ah!
I don't think I actually got it, but I was so enamored with the writing that I didn't care.
I liked To the Lighthouse more, though.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top