- Fizzy Thoughts: Paper Towns

Paper Towns

Thursday, March 19, 2009


Paper Towns
John Green
October 2008
320 pages

Awesome. And that is all you need to know. Because I believe John Green books are best if you know nothing about them before you start reading.

22 comment(s):

trish said...

I totally want to read this book. Almost bought it at the book store recently, but bought Child 44 instead.

Beth F said...

Note to self: quit stalling and read those John Green books you have sitting here gathering dust.

J.C. Montgomery said...

I had put this on my wish list a while back.

Your..uhm...review not only confirms this is a good choice, but that perhaps I should actually go out and get it so it can reside on my TBR shelf.

Thanks!

Melissa said...

So, rate it on the John Green continuum: where does it fit? (For me, in between Looking for Alaska and The Abundance of Katherines. I really want to get a signed copy of this one, though.)

softdrink said...

Trish - You haven't read any of his others yet, have you?

Beth - Go. Read. Now.

J.C. - yes, review is a generous term, in this case. :-D

Melissa - I think it's slightly ahead of Looking for Alaska for me. It's hard, because I love both of them (way more than Katherines), but I think the road trip from Paper Towns puts it in the lead.

Nymeth said...

There is no better word than "awesome" to sum up this book! I think this is actually slightly ahead of Alaska for me too.

softdrink said...

Melissa and Nymeth - I'm still trying to figure out why it's a little ahead of Alaska. I'm thinking it's because it's a subtler book.

Ali said...

Yep. I agree with everything you wrote. (Not hard to do, since you didn't write much!)

Staci said...

I loved each and every book he has wrote! I like your take on this...awesome it is!

Melissa said...

I think you're right, it is better than Alaska. And the road trip is PRICELESS. I love referring to my minivan as an apartment on wheels now. :) And I agree: it is a subtle book. Which is part of its brilliance.

I do wonder, though, how it will translate to the big screen. I guess the one saving grace is that John Green is writing the screenplay for it. :)

heatherlo said...

Haha, I SO agree. What a perfect review of a pretty perfect book. :)

Joanne said...

Perfect review! And so right, the less you know about these the better they are. But even if you knew the entire plot Green's books would rock ... cause he's just that damn good!

saveophelia said...

Must start on John Green. Would this be a good starter book?

Ramya said...

i've been eyeing this book ever since i saw Nymeth's review of it.. now your own word review makes me want to read it right away!

Suey said...

I think this is the shortest review I've ever seen! And I love it! :)

chartroose said...

Brevity is good.
That is all.

Ladytink_534 said...

I've heard over and over again how awesome this is but I know little about it. I won it recently though!

softdrink said...

Ali - too bad I can't get away with that with every post!

Staci - I still have the short story left...but he needs to hurry up and write more novels. :-D

Melissa - hmmm...not sure if I could bear to watch a movie interpretation.

Heather and Jo - thanks!

saveophelia - this one, or Looking for Alaska...it's pretty awesome, too.

Ramya

suey - thanks!

chartroose - brevity is easy, too.

Tink - It's good you don't know much...and go read it before you find out more!

LisaMM said...

A 3 sentence review. I love it. I could crank out a lot more reviews if I could edit them down to the bare bones essentials the way you did here.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I haven't read any John Green ... which to start with?

Lisa said...

I've got this one check out of the library right now! I should get on it.

Jessica said...

I LOVED this book. I'm glad you did too. I love the no spoilers at all review.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top