- Fizzy Thoughts: Odd Coincidences

Odd Coincidences

Friday, April 10, 2009

I have two books sitting on my desk at work. Thirteen Reasons Why, because it’s soon to be signed by the author, and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian, because my boss wanted my opinion of the book (which I haven’t read yet). Since I read the ARC of Thirteen Reasons Why quite a while ago, I’ve never really paid any attention to the cover of the book (even though it's been sitting on my desk for the past week). Until I happened to glance at it and noticed the quote on the cover: “A mystery, eulogy, and ceremony.” –Sherman Alexie, best selling author of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian.

What are the chances? And I feel like Sherman Alexie just sent me a message that his book really should be moved to the top of the TBR pile.

11 comment(s):

bkclubcare said...

I had that same experience when a book I picked up was endorsed by Katherine Dunn right after I had read Geek Love! It's surely a sign... and I so want to read the PT Indian book (will it be going into your closet when you've finished?!)

Joanne said...

I used to always ignore cover quotes on books. It just peeved me sometimes to see a line from a big-time media review that really didn't provide anything more than repetitive one-liners.

Example:

"King at his Best...A Winner!"

"Horror at an unflagging pace...scary!"

"Vintage King...Breath-taking...awesome!"

"Terrific!"

"Hits the jugular...King's most disturbing horror yet!"


Those were from 5 random King novels I just grabbed off the shelf above my desk. All cover quotes from the NYTimes. And all completely interchangeable, it doesn't even matter what the titles are because I would almost guarantee that every King novel has a quote identical to these.

But now I do pay attention to the quotes because I'm seeing more and more authors and even bloggers being quoted on book covers and that simply rocks!!

Ramya said...

Lol! This is quite a strog message! I read Thirteen Reasons Why after reading your review.. you sent me your ARC, remember? It was such a good book. Looking forward to your review of "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian".. It sounds interesting!

Dar said...

That is strange-definitely a message there Jill.

Chris said...

O_o Odd indeed! Want to hear something even more weird? Just last night I took Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian of of my TBR shelf to read for the read-a-thon. It has been sitting there for a year and a half, but I felt a sudden urge to read it last night O_o

saveophelia said...

pfffft, coincidence. total sign from God.

J.S. Peyton said...

I think the universe is trying to tell you something Softdrink: Read Alexie's book or he will haunt you till the end of your days...

= )

Ti said...

Yep. That's a sign.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

Yes, it's a sign!! Did you bring the book home for the weekend, or is it still sitting on your desk at work!?

softdrink said...

Care - unfortunately no, it won't go into the closet...I have to return it to its owner

Jo - !!!!! ;-)

Ramya - oh, I'm glad you reminded me, because I was just wondering who read the ARC after me. Me memory is crap.

Dar, saveophelia, and JS - and I'm definitely listening to the message!

Chris - cue Twilight Zone music. :-O Now you really have to read it!

Ti - now if I could just figure out how to get a subliminal message to you to buy World Made by Hand. :-D

Dawn - LOL...yes, it is now sitting on my desk here at home.

Pam said...

I always act on signs like that!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top