- Fizzy Thoughts: Movie Night

Movie Night

Monday, May 18, 2009

Since there was a bit of interest in the idea of a movie night, we're going to give it a try. The details:

When: this Friday, 5/22/09 at 7 pm Pacific time
Where: watch the movie in your own home, comment at twitter
Who: everyone is welcome!
What: we'll be watching the 1949 version of Little Women. Why that version? Well, because it's available on iTunes ($2.99 to rent) and I couldn't resist the amazon description:


Erstwhile tomboy June Allyson stars as Alcott's famed heroine Jo, the budding writer in Civil War New England who pines for adventure, independence, and her own career. With Father off to war, it's up to Jo, practical older sister Meg (Janet Leigh), frail sister Beth (Margaret O'Brien), and vain sister Amy (Elizabeth Taylor) to help Marmee (a saintly Mary Astor) keep the home fires warm while dealing with the rigors of adolescence. It's all poured on with a generous amount of syrup, including lavish sets, hoop skirts, and petticoats, but anyone who's ever read Alcott's book will take comfort in its familiar story line. The dialogue is clunky but earnest, but you'd have to have a heart of stone not to get caught up in Jo's plight. And rarely do you get to see such stars go at it with such gusto: Allyson and Peter Lawford (as neighbor and rich boy Laurie) are a match made in B-movie heaven, Taylor is spunky and hilarious in an early comic performance, and Leigh does the matronly thing with aplomb. And nobody, but nobody, cries and suffers like Margaret O'Brien!

Sounds like there will be plenty of things to tweet about! Hope to see you there!

13 comment(s):

LisaMM said...

explain to me this newfangled concept of renting movies on iTunes. Do you watch them on your computer, or your iPod? I'm so lame..

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

hey fizz, I just posted too. I copied the details from your post...sorry. Hope that is alright, I am so lazy about details.

I can't wait!! Count me in.

Ti said...

Yes. Please explain the iTunes rental idea. I didn't know that you could rent a move on iTunes. All I have is an iPod or computer. Would that work?

Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog said...

I'll be babysitting the nieces & nephew on Friday, but this is a fun idea, and I hope you'll do it again. Enjoy Little Women on your newfangled high-tech devices.

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

Why that version? Because it's the BEST VERSION EVER!!!! I'm going to try to slip sleeping potion to the kids to get them asleep by 7 on Friday so I can join in. Will do my very best to be there!

Dar said...

I've got this waiting for me at the library. Sounds fun.

softdrink said...

Lisa and Ti - I have iTunes on my laptop, so last time we did this, I rented the movie and watched it that way (on the laptop). It was fairly cheap, and you have access to the movie for a certain amount of time...I can't remember how long...12 hours? 24? Anyways, it was totally easy, provided you already have iTunes. And that way, Hamburger can keep on watching tv. :-)

bethany - of course it's all right!!!

Rebecca - I'm hoping we can make it a monthly or bi-monthly event.

Michele - oh good, I'm glad we chose the right version. :-D Hope you can make it!

Dar - woo-hoo!!

Gentle Reader said...

This sounds like such a great idea! I'm going to try to join in. I hear this is a great version of the story, too...

Literate Housewife said...

Count me in if I can find a place to rent it. What a great idea. I'd love to watch movies with my cyber buddies!

girasoli said...

Have a fun night! Wish I could participate but I will just be leaving physical therapy when the movie starts. Will watch for the fun on twitter though :)

Ladytink_534 said...

My favorite adaptation of this is the 1933 version with Katharine Hepburn playing Jo.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

I was chaperoning a 100-guest "boy-girl" party (ack! remember those?!?) that my 13 yr old attended. Would much have preferred watching/tweeting Little Woman with you all!

I'll be looking for the next announcement ...

LisaMM said...

I missed it, was it fun? We were busy with some friends and the hub didn't get it (you want to watch a movie with some people online then make fun of it on twitter? what's twitter? why??) Hope you'll do this again, and thanks for explaining @ iTunes. I have it on my computer as well so should be really easy.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top