- Fizzy Thoughts: Adios Bloggiesta

Adios Bloggiesta

Sunday, June 21, 2009

blogiesta
So I spent a good chunk of Friday evening (4 hours) and the majority of Saturday (I’m guessing a good 10 hours, if not more…and this is thanks to the earthquake that jolted me out of bed at 5:30am) working on my Bloggiesta to-do list.  To recap, these were my original tasks, with later additions in dark green:

On fizzy thoughts:
*Reviews:

  • The Onion Girl, Charles de Lint
  • The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop, Lewis Buzbee
  • First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria, Eve Brown-Waite
  • Fragile Eternity, Melissa Marr
  • Lipstick Jihad, Azadeh Moaveni
  • The Flying Troutmans, Miriam Toews
  • Firmin, Sam Savage
  • The Gangster We Are All Looking For, le thi diem thuy
  • The Lost Legends of New Jersey, Frederick Reiken
  • Bound South, Susan Rebecca White
  • The Lost Hours, Karen White
  • Little Bee, Chris Cleave
  • The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
  • The Widow's Season, Laura Brodie
  • The Only True Genius in the Family, Jennie Nash
  • The Last Beach Bungalow, Jennie Nash
  • Bitter Sweets, Roopa Farooki
  • Into the Beautiful North

 

*Fix broken links (I did some of this…I fixed everything broken that the link bar led to, so that’s the most important.  But I know my blog is riddled with broken links.  This will be ongoing.)
*Update/clean-up sidebar
*Add search button (just for Veens)
*Disable push to twitter
*Write Sookie Stackhouse Challenge post
will post 7/1
*Write review policy and add to link bar


*Update Google profile pic to match blog


*started using Live Writer in the hope that it resolves the weird formatting blogger likes to impose upon my posts

On Weekly Geeks:

*Weekly wrap-up (I actually did this Thursday night, so it doesn’t count)
*Update community list (this is a big need-to-do, but honestly, it’s so tedious I couldn’t bear to start)

On goodreads:
*Enter books read
*Update profile



Other
*submission to Bookworms Carnival


*minor Google Reader cleaning
*ended up installing Google Chrome after Firefox fail, and then struggled to get favicon back…although it finally happened


*occasional twittering


*meta-tags (kind-of)



What I didn’t do:


*any of the challenges
*comment on other people’s blogs (although I did keep the Reader nice and tidy)

 



Overall, I’m pretty happy with how much I did.  And very grateful to Natasha at Maw Books for motivating us all to participate!  I wish I would have finished more reviews, although now that I have posts scheduled through 7/1 I have time to work on the rest of the list.

My biggest failure was a lack of commenting, and oh, the irony…because this was the subject of the mini-challenge I hosted.  However, I knew from the read-a-thon that commenting can eat up your whole day, so I had pretty much planned to stay away from the blogosphere (with the exception of twitter). I do, however, plan to write a post for later today featuring the mini-challenge participants.



Again, a huge thank you to Natasha at Maw Books for thinking up and hosting this marvelous party.  It was definitely the kick in the patootie that I needed to get started on my blog tasks!

15 comment(s):

Beth F said...

Commenting or no, you did a lot of work. Good job!

Shannansbooks said...

Good job. Nice work.

imbookingit said...

I have to admit, I spent very little time on commenting, on reading blogs, and on cleaning up my feeds.

I hadn't put it in my plans, and just didn't get to it.

Maybe next time.

Thanks for hosting the challenge, even if I didn't participate, and congratulations on the work you got done!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You did a huge amount, including loads of reviews! It must feel great to have crossed so much off your list!

Sheila DeChantal said...

I had so much fun with the challenge and now visiting the participants blogs!

Sheila DeChantal said...

Nicely done - I just love your blog!

Eva said...

Wow! You got a ton done! :)

heidenkind said...

I didn't do much commenting either, sadly. But I do want to go back to your mini-challenge later in the week (I'm a little burned out right now) and check out the blogs that I missed during the Bloggiesta.

Hasta la vista, Bloggiesta!

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

Excellent job! You accomplished quite a bit. I also hope to go back to your challenge later in the week and do more commenting. Hope you're OK from the earthquake, too.

Nick said...

I saw you mention having trouble with broken links on your blog. You should try http://www.linkpatch.com. It will send you an email with the details each time someone runs into a broken link on your site.

Rebecca Reid said...

I was so busy commenting, I didn't get much other stuff done. Oops.

bermudaonion said...

Wow! You got a lot done - I'm very impressed.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

Congrats on accomplishing so much during Bloggiesta! I wasn't able to participate, but added a lot to my to-do list after reading all these great ideas!

Thanks to Nick, I'm off to check out linkpatch.com :)

Joanne said...

You did awesome! Love seeing all those crossed out things :)

Yeah and the blogging buddy challenge of Amys - you were the first person I thought of! Even if we can't solve each others issues, the bitching and moaning together makes it better :P

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

So here I am FINALLY leaving a comment. You were so much fun to party with Jill! I'm thrilled that you participated.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top