- Fizzy Thoughts: Go forth and comment

Go forth and comment

Friday, June 19, 2009

Welcome to the Bloggiesta!


Are you ready for a mini-challenge? This one is about making connections. One of the wonderful things about blogging is connecting with other bloggers. While other people may look at us askance when we talk about our blogging friends, those in the book blogging community have discovered that our fellow bloggers can truly become “kindred spirits.”

Since reading is such a solitary occupation, blogging offers us an opportunity to reach out to others with similar interests. If you’re not in a book group and want to discuss the ending to that last book you read, blogging can provide that opportunity. If the people around you don’t share your taste in reading, you’re bound to find someone in the blogosphere with similar tastes who will love you forever for your recommendations. Bloggers can tell of the virtual conversations they have had about books, authors, book festivals, genres, childhood reads, libraries, new cars, children and even pregnancy. While we might occasionally digress from our shared love of books and reading, it is these common bonds that draw us together.

It may feel awkward initially to leave a comment on a stranger’s blog. I’m sure we’ve all felt hesitant, had that fleeting thought of “this person’s going to think I’m a total dork.” But oftentimes, you leave a comment and before you know it, they’ve returned the favor, you chat a bit, and voila, you discover that you’ve made a new friend.

Beyond our shared love of books and reading, I would argue that what really makes us a community is our discourse. For new bloggers, it’s necessary to reach out and connect with other bloggers in order to get traffic to your own site. Consider your blog as an extension of yourself. If you want people to talk to you (leave comments on your blog) you have to be willing to engage and talk to others (leave comments on other blogs). Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as “blog it and they will come.” It takes effort, people!

So for this mini-challenge, I (actually, it’s Natasha’s idea, I’m just channeling her for the moment) challenge you to seek out 10 (yes, ten!) new blogs (from the list of bloggers who signed up for the Bloggiesta) and leave a thoughtful comment on their blog. Saying “Just popping in to say hey ‘cause Softdrink told me to” ain’t gonna cut it for this challenge. Find a book review that intrigues you and tell them why. Look for something you have in common and chat about it. Ask them a question about their blog design. You get the idea, right? Be original…be engaging…be yourself!

After you have visited ten (10!) blogs and left the most awesome comments in the history of blogging, come back here and leave a comment on this post telling me you completed your homework. Extra credit for mentioning a few of the blogs you visited (okay, not really on the extra credit part, but I’ll think it’s really cool if you introduce me to some new blogs). Your comment will enter you in one of the sponsored giveaways that will be given out after Bloggiesta is done. So you have from now until 8am Sunday morning (your time) to complete this mini-challenge.

What are you waiting for? Go on…get out of here…go meet new friends!

37 comment(s):

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Yay for a great post! I think I've left at least 25 comments already in the last hour as bloggiesta host. I heart book bloggers!

Liyana said...

Great idea! That's what I try to do. :D

Louise said...

Love it and am so up for it - its actually on my bloggiesta to-do list, did not realize before now that I could use it as a challenge (I SO want to win the 15 dollars gift certificate!!!)

Nymeth said...

This is such a great mini-challenge. I wish I could be bloggiestaying along with all of you. Have fun for me!

Kristen said...

Alright, here's where I've been, added, commented, etc. :) I'm mostly into YA, so most of these are YA book bloggers.

http://bloodybookaholic.blogspot.com/

http://www.inthecurrent.blogspot.com/

http://thebookpixie.blogspot.com/

http://wordforteens.blogspot.com/

http://www.youthservicescorner.com/

http://tencentnotes.wordpress.com/

http://bookworm4life.wordpress.com/

http://www.greenbeanteenqueen.com/

http://rebeccasbookblog.blogspot.com/

http://alwayssomethingtoread.blogspot.com/

I'm never going to finish my book today if this keeps up! :) I really enjoyed looking at some new blogs though. Thanks for this awesome mini-challenge!

Melanie said...

This was a very cool mini-challenge. I randomly do this on my own, sometimes. It's a lot of fun to go to random blogs and comment! My favorite was Debbie's World of Books (debbiesworld.wordpress.com). I liked her review of Models Don't Eat Chocolate. This bloggiesta is turing out to be more fun than work! :D

susan said...

This is a challenge very dear to me. I host a weekly challenge asking bloggers to share a Little Lov'n on Mondays by leaving a link to a post and commenting to others. Just doing that enters you in a drawing for a book prize.

I'm working and recently completed an overhaul of one of my blogs so no blogeista for me.

Sitting on the sidelines cheering you all on.

Care said...

sis boom bah! You ROCK!

Belle said...

Commenting is so addictive! I've discovered lots of lovely new blogs today, a lot more than ten. And wouldn't you know it, I started commenting after I cleaned up my Google Reader, and ended up adding everyone I visited, so now my reader is bursting at the seams again!

Sheila said...

Love your blog. I am working on your challenge now and wanted to start by telling you I love your blog layout! Love the book widget. I am still looking for one but I use wordpress and a lot of the widgets dont work with that.... I keep looking though! :)

http://bookjourney.wordpress.com/

Trin said...

I left comments for over 10 people. I hope to see people come to my blog as well this is so fun. We should Bloggiesta more often.

Louise said...

Completed the challenge, which was great!

http://louspages.blogspot.com/2009/06/bloggiesta-update-2.html

infiniteshelf said...

Okay, I've easily done this one - I LOVE discovering new blogs and bloggers!

Some of the blogs I've discovered are : "The Book Zombie", "Jackets and Covers", "In bed with Books" and "Bookworm for life". Oh, and can I add your blog to the list as an eleventh? ;)

Kristin Callender said...

Finished your mini challenge and have found some new blogs to follow too. Great idea! Good Luck w/the rest of Bloggiesta!

Rebecca Reid said...

It took a long time but I commented on ten blogs that have things that interest me. Lots of fun seeing the different blogs out there! I think I visited 70 different blogs in the past two hours!

Sherrie said...

Hi Jill,
Thanks for this mini challenge. It was great looking for all the places I went to. I found some great new places to visit. My post about this is posted at my place, Just Books.
Have a great day!!

Sherrie
http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2009/06/bloggiesta-mini-challenge-comments.html

Lexie said...

:D a great mini-challenge I gotta say! I love your banner btw (oh grape soda...)

Joanne said...

Great challenge Jill! My google reader is so full that I hardly ever get a chance to explore new blogs. During Bloggiesta I planned to visit and cheer on participants - wow it's hard work when you get sucked into a new-to-you blog :) So far I've visited about 17 new-to-me blogs and there is so much good stuff out there! I won't list all of them, but one that I really liked and recommend is The Infinite Shelf - smart, sassy and super design!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Fabulous! I got out and visited some new (to me) sites! I'm not great at picking random sites, but I have to admit the ones with awesome blog names really helped me out...

Jacqueline C said...

Great challenge! I always make it a point to comment and respond to comments. I've more than got my ten in - including comments at Maw Books and One Librarian.

avisannschild said...

Great post and what a fun challenge! I've posted comments on at least 10 blogs (I kinda lost count). Gotta get back to my reviews now!

Marta said...

This is such a great idea! I've been out visiting some new blogs. I've been out recovering for a while and there are lots of new people to get out and meet!

I love your blog...very cute!

Kristi said...

I've lost track of the number of comments I've left, but it's been at least ten. Thanks for doing the mini-challenge (I was planning to do this anyway, but may not have taken the time to get around to as many blogs as I did without the challenge ;o)). I already had a lot of the participant's blogs in my reader, but I added several others including The Biblio Brat and Bart's Bookshelf. Both have great content. Thanks for introducing me to them ;o).

gaby317 said...

Thanks for hosting this mini challenge. I've come across a bunch of new blogs to add to my feedreader and seen things that I'd like to adapt for my own blog.

Here are a few of the new to me blogs that I've found: Reading Upside Down, The Infinite Shelf, A Chair, A Fireplace and A Tea Cozy, Bailey's & Books, Book Chic, Cindy's Love of BOoks, Texas Red Books, Galleysmith, She Reads and Reads, Emily's Reading Room, Shannon Loves Books and Movies, Bloody Bad Book Blog. I'll likely keep going for a while but wanted to check in and let you know that I've completed the challenge and that I'd enjoyed it!

MotherReader said...

I'm pretty good at leaving comments, but the challenge for me was picking random sites that I didn't know and exploring them enough to leave a good comment. Toughest challenge so far. I used the Mr. Linky list and started with the Lost numbers - 4,8,15,16,23,42. Then added a few others here and there.

Shelley said...

Super fun! I found some great blogs and now have even more to read in my google reader!!

Infant Bibliophile said...

I've been visiting and commenting all weekend. Maybe why I only wrote one short review post! Oops. :)

Literate Housewife said...

How's this comment: where the hell's your favicon?

Liyana said...

Okay, I've commented on a bunch of sites. Going by number, trying to comment on everyone's blog!

Haiku Amy said...

I have posted on many new sites today. I didn't keep track, but I'm pretty sure I got 10. I met a lot of new people today.

Susan @ Reading Upside Down said...

I've wandered through so many blogs over the weekend and have left comments on quite a few.

I've written a comment love post on my blog where I've listed 10 of my new blog finds. I may go and add some more blogs later as well.

Thanks to everyone who visited my blog and commented as well.

Nicole said...

I have loved wondering over to new blogs and "meeting" the Bloggiesta Particpants.

MIchelle said...

I'll start by saying thank you....as this challenge has sent many to my blog that may not have otherwise seen it. In return I've been able to make new friends and connections both at my blog and then at theirs in return.

I do find it humorous, though, that in one mini-challenge we cleaned our feed readers (in my case removing some) and then this one asked that we add in (which I did happily).

Great challenge!

Nan said...

What a great mini challenge! I had a blast visiting a bunch of "new to me" blogs. And of course commenting is always fun. :-)

Amber said...

I tried to get to 10 new blogs to make thoughtful comments. I think I made it to about 10 but it was after midnight here and I had hit a wall. I didn't complete this mini-challenge but it was fun to try!

Gentle Reader said...

This is a great idea, and I'm going to do it now! Thanks :)

Trish said...

Yes, I know blogiesta is over, but I wanted to mention what a great idea this is. Sometimes I get stuck in a comment rut where I only comment on those in my google reader. It's great to break out. And hey--we're all dorks!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top