- Fizzy Thoughts: my loot from Powell's

my loot from Powell's

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Many people were wondering what I bought on my four trips to Powell's. Well, here you go.


Actually, this pile doesn't tell the complete story. I also bought The Hunger Games, The Only True Genius in the Family and The Last Beach Bungalow, all of which I read on my vacation and then sold back before I left. I also read and sold back A Widow's Season, which I found at a Hood River bookstore along with The Island of Eternal Love. In Europe was a Book Bin purchase, the Book Bin being conveniently located across the street from the restaurant in Salem where I met bethany for dinner.

With the exception of Kinky Gazpacho, The Hunger Games and The Only True Genius in the Family, none of the books were on my "books I want" list. I discovered them browsing, particularly in Powell's Red and Green Rooms. The Red Room being the location of the most awesome aisle of travel writing I have ever seen. And the Green Room has sales tables. Who can resist sales tables?

Powell's is a dangerous place. Although if I was better at math I could tell you how much I saved by not paying sales tax, which is 8.25% at my local bookstores. And yes, that's the excuse I keep using to make myself feel better.

16 comment(s):

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I didn't know about the Green Room! I can't believe it! I definitely have to get back to Portland!

Belle said...

Kinky Gazpacho is such an interesting title! I haven't read Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue yet. Definitely have that one on my list, too.

Eva said...

What a great pile! I really want to vacation in Portland one of these days. :D

bermudaonion said...

I'm envious of your trip to Powell's - maybe I'll make it there one day. You got a great stack of books.

Charley said...

The only book I've read of your stack is The Hunger Games. Looking forward to your reviews!

Dreamybee said...

Not only are you saving money on the sales tax, but you're also supporting the local economy, and that's just the polite thing to do when you visit somewhere! It would have been rude NOT to buy all those books. :)

Ti said...

I think it's funny that you ended up with books that were not on your "to read" list.

BTW...I love Bill Bryson and that book is a good one.

Louise said...

What a great loot you have got! And I am so envious of the price of books in US, sales taxes or not, its way cheaper than in DK :-(

Thanks for your recommendations for YA-lit on my blog. I am going to have a look at all rec's coming in and then make my list :-)

The Biblio Brat said...

I don't know how you managed. To walk out with ONLY that many.

Me. Well, if you saw my Sunday Salon post - nuf said.

I can resist sales tables as well as...well - books. [hangs head]

Looks like a great haul and that excuse about the tax - priceless!

Enjoy!

Nymeth said...

I've been meaning to read The Mother Tongue. It sounds like it could be great. Enjoy your loot :D

Gentle Reader said...

Wow, great haul! Looks like you'll be busy this summer. I really need to get to Portland one of these days!

Scobberlotcher said...

So jealous of your trip and loot! I want to read that Bill Bryson book.

Beth F said...

Very nice stack o' books!!! I'm hoping to be in Portland next summer.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I buy sooo many books from sale sections, it's terrible. But how can you not get a book that is only $2 if it sounds at all interesting?

Veens said...

:) :)
I can't think of an excuse I use to buy books.. ever before I get around reading the books I already have!

Care said...

Kinky Gazpacho is fun to say.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top