- Fizzy Thoughts: WG 2009-20: Guilty Pleasures

WG 2009-20: Guilty Pleasures

Tuesday, June 02, 2009


This week's task was sent in by Maree of Just Add Books, who's been thinking about those things that we do when we're not reading or blogging. She asked...

What's your non-reading guilty pleasure? Trashy TV? Trashier movies? Junk food? Share with the group. :)

First of all, there's my itchy feet:


I love to travel. In fact, I just made plans to fly to Portland THIS WEEKEND. Hamburger decided to take off on a last minute surf trip, and I figure it's better to be alone someplace else. In the past four years I've been to England, Italy, Seattle and Victoria, BC, Savannah, Green Bay (go Packers) and Sunriver, Oregon (actually, this is a regular trip for a family reunion...but it's still a trip). The above picture is me in Naples, Italy...ready to hit the road and see the sites!

Second, I have a little thing for shoes (and clothes):


This is my closet. What you can't see is the additional 2-3 feet of hanging clothes and all of the shoes on the floor. Hamburger got booted to the closet in the spare bedroom. We have a running debate over which is worse...my shoe habit, or his Harley parts habit.

Third, I love pedicures:


The current color is Suzi Says Da! Otherwise known as chocolate-brown. And don't laugh at my baby toes. My mom and I argue that we are more evolved, since baby toes are unnecessary and we're that much closer to not having them than the rest of you. :-)

And finally, our thermostat:


While I don't necessarily like hot weather, I do like my house to be nice and warm. But then, I live in the fog. In fact, my heater is currently on, because June in Morro Bay? Brrrrrrrr.

So there you have it...four of my guilty pleasures. Besides the books, because that's just a given. What are your guilty pleasures?

24 comment(s):

gautami tripathy said...

Travelling is a great guilty pleasure!

My SIL has foot- fetish.

WG:Guilty Pleasures

Florinda said...

I think our closets may be related.

Belle said...

I love to armchair travel but am only just getting into real travel :)

I share your pedicure love, though. And the clothes. And the shoe thing. Do you have a handbag thing too? I definitely do.

Maree said...

Great list - happy weekly geeks! :)

jessi said...

I'm with you on the travel, but I'm not much for pedicures. I've had two, and both times I squirmed uncomfortably the whole time. I just don't like people touching my feet! :)

Joanne said...

Yay an OPI girl! My faves are My Private Jet, I'm Fondue Of You and anything from the India series - even the pinks :)

Your closet is amazing, walk-ins are the masterpiece of architectural design.

Morro Bay sounds an awful lot like my coast for foggy chills. In the daytime you die of heat and humidity but by dark the fogs roll in. This year is especially bad. The highways are scary with fog hovering and steam clouds rising from the pavement. And most people don't understand when I say that ours is a damp heat - very Lovecraftian :D

Anyways, LOVE your guilty pleasures! Please marry me, adopt me, rent me - either one would be fine lol :P

Michele at Reader's Respite said...

We must be ying and yang...your guilty pleasure is the heater whilst mine is the air conditioner, LOL!

bermudaonion said...

I'm with you on the traveling, but I don't get to travel much these days. I love my heater too. The last time we moved, I refused to look at any houses that didn't have gas heat!

Bookfool said...

Traveling, but I only go somewhere about once every two years. I wave goodbye to my husband, quite a bit. This week, he's heading to Germany for the 4th time. I've never been. Grrr.

Beth F said...

Very fun. Wish I could travel much, much more.

Jo-Jo said...

I love to travel also, but I'm a lazy traveller, as I just want to go to a tropical location and lounge on the beach!

I am an OPI junkie! Open my bathroom cabinet and it looks like a salon counter! lol My friends always tell me that their kids have so much nail polish, but I usually comment back that it probably isn't OPI--and their response is "what the heck is that"? lol

And the thermostat--what can I say about that--I live in Northern Wisconsin and I am ALWAYS freezing! Last fall we just purchased a wood pellet stove to help with heating so I am finally able to keep my home temperature at a comfortable 72 degrees!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

Can't wait to see ya!! Bring a big appetite, the food is....oh I am drooling.

Ali said...

I love traveling, too, though it's been a long while since I've been anywhere exotic.

As for pedicures, I've never had one but I think I should. My feet are so ugly right now. Which is really more than you needed to know, isn't it?

bkclubcare said...

I always think I love pedicures but I've yet to have one that was an enjoyable process and worth the money (and the strange pedicurists I end up with.) Fun post. :)

Melody said...

Yep, I love, love, love travelling! Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in one more towards end of the year but I doubt so! ;P

As for pedicures, can you believe that I haven't try it before?! I'd have to try it one soon!

lilly said...

Four not one?!! That's just crazy! I love the little photo essay you made out of this post. And I am soooo jealous about the travelling. I wish I could travel but my financial situation is not evolved to quite that level yet.
Great post, really enjoyed reading it.

Gentle Reader said...

Love to travel, too, but it's so not fun with three kids. Wish I was going to Portland, sounds like a great trip! I'm a fan of the pedicure as well, and my closet bears a close resemblance to yours! We get June gloom here in LA, too--can't put those sweaters away yet!

Veens said...

wow! Love your closet ;) I have a thing for clothes and shoes and bags too :)

I love traveling too :) though I have not done much of it in the last few years :)

this was fun! i like posts with pics :)

Jerry said...

Those guilty pleasures are perfectly understandable! LOL

Are you joining us in San Diego?

girasoli said...

I love traveling also (just don't like the flying part). Great closet! I would also be keeping that thermostat nice and toasty. My other guilty pleasures are a few favorite TV shows and being on the computer. I hope you are having fun in Portland.

J.S. Peyton said...

I've only had a pedicure once in my life. It was hours after endless walking around Beijing, China and it was definitely worth it! I love to travel too, which is how I ended up with my current job - traveling around the country hearing tax cases. The "tax cases" part isn't fun, but the traveling part is! = )

Also, you've won an award:
http://www.whosabiblioaddict.com/?p=740

=D

Hope you had a great time in Portland!

Lisa said...

1. Fancy coffee- Starbucks, Dunn Brothers, Caribou, whatever. Iced coffee, lattes, mmmmmmm.

2. Books. Duh. I'm learning to use the library but I still have hundreds of unread books.

3. Friends. I watch an episode every day at lunch. Our DVR is full of it.

4. Cheap shoes. Not so much since I had kids and got broke, but it's hard to resist Target and Payless shoes.

Literate Housewife said...

A pedicure... That's exactly what I need! I don't get them often enough.

chartroose said...

Brown toenails? Now I know you have a gothy side. Next time, paint 'em black!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top