- Fizzy Thoughts: when Geeks wear sombreros

when Geeks wear sombreros

Monday, June 15, 2009

Wow. I'm 19 reviews behind. How did that happen?!? Lucky for me, this seems to be a trend and both Weekly Geeks and Natasha are conspiring to get me caught up.

First, Weekly Geeks. This week Becky revisits an oldie but a goodie:

1. In your blog, list any books you’ve read but haven’t reviewed yet. If you’re all caught up on reviews, maybe you could try this with whatever book(s) you hope to finish this week. (Be sure to leave a link to this post either in the comments of this post, or in the Mister Linky below.)

2. Ask your readers to ask you questions about any of the books they want. In your comments, not in their blogs. (Most likely, people who will ask you questions will be people who have read one of the books or know something about it because they want to read it.)

3. Later, take whichever questions you like from your comments and use them in a post about each book. Link to each blogger next to that blogger’s question(s).

4. Visit other Weekly Geeks and ask them some questions!

Okay, so here it is. The list of unreviewed books:

The Onion Girl, Charles de Lint
The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop, Lewis Buzbee
First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria, Eve Brown-Waite
Fragile Eternity, Melissa Marr
Lipstick Jihad, Azadeh Moaveni
The Flying Troutmans, Miriam Toews
Firmin, Sam Savage
The Gangster We Are All Looking For, le thi diem thuy
The Lost Legends of New Jersey, Frederick Reiken
Bound South, Susan Rebecca White
The Lost Hours, Karen White
Little Bee, Chris Cleave
The God of War, Marisa Silver
The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
The Widow's Season, Laura Brodie
The Only True Genius in the Family, Jennie Nash
The Last Beach Bungalow, Jennie Nash
Bitter Sweets, Roopa Farooki
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, Katherine Howe

Help me out here people! Ask me any question (or two or three or four) about any of the above books (or two or three or four). Just leave your question(s) in the comments.

On Friday night and/or Saturday, I'll be participating in the Bloggiesta, and I'll use your questions to get me started on the 10 bajillion 19 reviews I need to write.

What is the Bloggiesta you ask? Well, besides an excuse to break out the chips and guacamole, it's a chance to get caught up on blog related things. Sombreros are optional.

I'll be working on all those reviews, as well as updating the Weekly Geeks Community page and my own neglected sidebar. At least, that's the plan. I might just hang out and eat chips and guacamole and dream of Mexico.

19 comment(s):

Melanie said...

Of your unreviewed books, are there any you'd suggest as a good "summer read"?

Bart's Bookshelf said...

The Onion Girl: I've read and enjoyed (but not loved) a couple of De Lints, is this one, the one that might fully convert me to the De Lint cause?

Weekly Geeks: My Review Catch-up List

Heather J. said...

Ooh, Little Bee! My book club just discussed this one yesterday. Questions: Did you identify with Andrew or Sarah or neither? What did you think of Little Bee's decision to "think of scars as signs of live"? Did you feel that the book was ultimately depressing or hopeful?

Please do me a favor. I'll be away for about a week and when I get back I'm going to do a MARK ALL AS READ on my Google Reader (or else I'll loose my mind!). Please hop over to my blog and put a link to your review of this book in a comment on a random post - I really want to know what you thought of it, and I know I'll forget to search it out. A week in Disney World does strange thing to a gal's brain ... :) Thanks Softdrink!

Heather J. said...

Ok, what I meant to say was "scars as signs of LIFE" ...

Eva said...

Do you think I'd like Little Bee?

What was your favourite part of The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop? I love how he described falling in love with reading!

Does Fragile Eternity live up to Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange? (I'm on my library's waiting list!)

I've been avoiding Lipstick Jihad because it seems a bit superficial. Am I just being silly?

If you could just recommend one of the novels on the list, which would you choose and why?

Louise said...

Can't wait to see you at the bloggiesta ;-)

Oh, and I will have to return to the text to see your list of books.....

Louise said...

Okay, I got it!

I love Miriam Toews and her quirky style - one of my fave books is A Complicated Kindness - and I have been thinking about getting The Troutsman-book, but reading about it on Amazon, it didn't really appeal to me at all. So, I am curios to know if it has got the Toews-flavor?

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I loved Lipstick Jihad!

How well do you think the book explained the Iranian Revolution and the context for the author's experience there? Do you feel like you understand the country more now that you've read the book, or did it make the whole history more confusing?

Valerie said...

I have read "Lipstick Jihad"! I also read the author's sequel, "Honeymoon in Tehran". Did reading Lipstick Jihad make you want to read her sequel (whether you actually have yet or not)?

I am also curious whether reading this book has made you attentive and/or more understanding of the current headlines concerning Iran?

Joanne said...

I have lots of questions! You really should have given a limit ya know :)

1. First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria - Did the descriptions of the Peace Corps experience make you think it is something you would find fulfilling?

2. Firmin - This looks awesome, is it? How do you feel about authors who use anthropomorphism to tell a story? Did you ever feel like you were reading about a human rather than a rat? Is there any underlying messages about society?

3. Bound South - Southern Chick-Lit or Character Driven Family Drama? Was there enough depth to this story and it's characters? Or was or more of a beach read?

4. The Lost Hours - This one sounds like an excellent read, but after seeing the mention of shattered Olympic dreams I was turned off. How much does this have to do with the main plot?

5. The Hunger Games - Overhyped or not? Was it as good as you'd expected? Or did you feel that the book didn't quite live up to it's reputation?

6. The Widows Season - This one sounds like something I would absolutely love, but I gotta know, does it stay in the whole emotional struggle of the main character territory or does it morph into romancey crap? And was the ending satisfying or saccharine?

7. Physick Book of Deliverance Dane - I am chomping at the bit to read this, please tell me this is amazing and that I will absolutely love it? :)


Double-dog-dare-ya to wear a sombrero for the Bloggiesta and provide a photo :P

lilly said...

I am sooo behind myself so it definitely seems to be a trend :)
Anyway, in the spirit of helping you out I am asking you a question about Hunger Games: What do you think about the ending? Did you like that it didn't give any closure as to the characters' lives and instead left readers needing to get part two to find out? Personally, I hate this kind of ending and as nice as the book was, the finish convinced me that I would not be reading Catching Fire.

bkclubcare said...

nineteen. NINETEEN!? wow. I am looking forward to any of the Jennie Nash reviews since I'm just pages away from starting the Genius book... Did you like it? Do you think I will like it? Since you've read both her fic and NF, what do you prefer and why? I am also intrigued by Little Bee. I'm glad Heather J. asked a bunch of Qs...

Michelle said...

Ole!

I too will be bloggiesta'ing so I'm super excited.

My question is kind of in relation to Hunger Games. Do you find that having read that particular book you are more or less inclined to continue reading in that genre (YA)?

Jennie said...

Hunger Games--- too violent? Or not violent enough to be believable?

softdrink said...

Thanks for all of the questions...this will be a huge help!!

Jodie said...

Did you feel like all the storylines in Bitter Sweets were fully developed? What are your own thoughts on how The Couple in Love come to fall out of love?

Jennie Nash said...

I'm the author of TWO books on your list, and I want to know how TITLE plays a role in helping you chose which one you'll read. I'm trying to title my novel in progress, so this is a burning question :)

heatherlo said...

Okay, I have two.

First, for First Comes Love... I love memoirs, but the only travel memoir I have experienced is Eat, Pray, Love - if you have read that one, how does First Comes Love compare to Gilbert's story? If not, what about First Comes Love would attract a memoir-lover like myself?

And for The Lost Hours, I personally don't read a lot of mysteries, but I found myself entranced with the mystery aspect of this book. What are your thoughts on the mystery part of the book? Did it keep you guessing and interested in the story, or not?

Good luck with your bazillion reviews!!

heidenkind said...

Yay, Bloggiesta! I'm pretty excited.

Okay, Onion Girl--do you need to read de Lint's other books to enjoy that? Because I tried to read it a while ago and I was just totally lost. Then I was talking to someone else about it (who really loved it), and she said I need to read all of de Lint's short stories in order to get it.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top