- Fizzy Thoughts: Game On! update

Game On! update

Monday, July 06, 2009

GameonTile


Here we are at the beginning of week 2 of the Game On! challenge, and I feel great! And no, I’m not just saying that to be polite.

To recap, this is what I’m supposed to be doing every day:
*eating 5 small healthy meals – each meal consisting of a carb, a lean protein and a healthy fat…also, veggies with at least two of these meals
*drinking 3 liters of water
*exercising 20 minutes
*getting at least 7 hours of sleep
*staying in contact with teammates and taunting the opposition
*give up an unhealthy habit (Starbucks…and to clarify, it wasn’t the caffeine I needed to give up, it was the latte habit)
*start a new healthy habit (wear sunscreen)

I’m proud to say I got a perfect score for my first week (hah! to the Ho Ho’s and double hah! to the Twinkies), plus I lost 4 pounds. Go me.

Here are some of the benefits to this challenge:
*having fun communicating with your teammates and poking fun at the opposition (there have been some brutal pictures of donuts and cake and chipwiches and beer floating around) (and check out last Monday’s post for info on the teams)
*energy – I don’t know about anyone else, but I have a more constant level of energy throughout the day. Since I usually get 8 hours of sleep, it’s not the sleep rule. I’m guessing this is all about eating better.
*when you stop eating sugar, fruit becomes the best thing ever
*happy skin – you try drinking 3 liters of water/day and not having happy skin.  Well, except for the hives, but I’ll get to that.
*happy me – I’m so cheerful it’s disgusting.

Now for a few of the more challenging aspects of the challenge:
*5 meals – if you don’t plan ahead, this is hard! Not so much for the breakfasty, snacky meals, but for dinner. By day 3 I was sick of chicken (we don’t eat fish). And veggies. I love veggies, but not really in the morning. So I felt like I was obligated to eat them by the end of the day. And it wasn’t like I had even been eating lots of chicken and veggies. It was just the thought.
*To fit the exercise in during the work week, I started to walk on my lunch break. And while the temperature wasn’t blistering, it was warm. I faithfully wore sunscreen, but my chest is covered in hives. At first I thought it was sunburn, but it’s definitely hives. My best guess is it’s a combination of the heat and the sunscreen. And while this isn’t a problem anyone else would have, it’s been a bit irritating. Not to mention itchy.
*The need to be in close proximity to a bathroom for most of the day. Because hello? 3 liters of water is a hecka lot of water!

So now it’s on to week 2!

***Another cheesy song to follow later today.  I know you all can’t wait.

9 comment(s):

bermudaonion said...

It sounds like you are doing fantastic! Keep it up!

Chris said...

I'm so proud of you Jill!! That's awesome :) I need to be more healthy myself :( I should really try something like this. Keep up the good work!

Michelle said...

Congratulations on making great progress! Despite the constant need for a toilet and some veggies it sounds like you have made the best of the situation. Well apart from the nasty hives....sorry about that.

Here's to a fabulous week two :)

Julie P. said...

You are awesome!! I am so glad to have you on my team! Can't wait for more song lyrics!

Jenners said...

A begrudging congrats from this Twinkie....

I've been feeling much better too actually -- it makes a huge difference when 50% of my caloric intake isn't refined sugar and carbs!!

keep up the good work -- but not too good!

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

Yay, you, indeed! This is a lot of fun, and I'm glad it's not just me that seems to have taken a happy pill. I thought it might be from all the fun I'm having when I plot those chipwich and ice cream pics, but apparently it's a natural side effect of eating well and exercise! :)

The skin change was a nice surprise (not your hives, of course!) ... and the support from teammates and opposition is true.

Here's to Week Two - Game On!

Beth F said...

Way to go! (even if you are the enemy)

Dar said...

Way to go Jill!

Veens said...

4 POUNDS! Already! WOW!

Good going Jill! Awesome!

Game on!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top