- Fizzy Thoughts: Girl Overboard

Girl Overboard

Thursday, July 16, 2009

girl overboard Girl Overboard
Justina Chen Headley
2008
339 pages

Publisher Comments:
The worst thing about having it all is having to deal with it all-the good, the bad, and the just plain weird. Like seeing more of my dad when he's on the cover of Business Week than I do in person. Like the surgeon whose schedule was too jammed with professional ballplayers to deal with my busted up knee...until he heard who my parents were and miraculously his calendar was wide open. Like the pseudo boyfriend who was more in love with my last name than with me.

Everybody thinks Syrah is the golden girl. After all, her father is Ethan Cheng, billionaire, and she has everything any kid could possibly desire, right down to a waterfront mansion, jet plane, and custom-designed snowboards. But most of what glitters in her life is fool's gold. Her half-siblings hate her, her best friend Adrian's girlfriend is ruining their friendship, and her own so-called boyfriend is after her for her father's name. When her broken heart results in a snowboarding accident that exiles her from the mountains--the one place where she feels free and accepted for who she is, not what she has--Syrah must rehab both her busted-up knee, and her broken heart, and learn that she's worth her weight in real gold.

I think the synopsis is a little misleading.  The entire book takes place after the snowboarding accident.  When I first read it, it seemed like the accident would occur in the course of the book.  Not that that really matters, it just is a little misleading.  Because after her accident, Syrah is forced to confront her life…her unhappiness with the relationship she has with her parents, her body, and her best friend. And that is what the book is all about.

This is by the same author as North of Beautiful.  And while it’s not a bad read, I prefer North of Beautiful.  Probably because I read it first, and as is the case when authors write books dealing with similar themes, the first one always seems more unique.

10 comment(s):

Ti said...

Yeah, this one sounds sort of...meh. From the synopsis, I too thought that the accident would be included in the story.

bermudaonion said...

I've got North of Beautiful in my TBR pile. I'll read it first and then decide if I want to read this one.

Joanne said...

This one's not for me, I avoid sports like the plague.

softdrink said...

Ti - hey, I didn't recognize you! Cute picture!

Kathy - I think starting with NofB is a wise decision. :-D

Joanne - No wonder I like you.

Melody said...

North of Beautiful is on my wishlist... and I think I'll let this book pass.

Beth F said...

I haven't read either of these yet. I haven't been drawn to them for some reason.

bkclubcare said...

Sometimes I wonder that the reason I usually don't read multiple books by the same author is because I really don't want to have to pick a favorite?

writemeg said...

Hmm, sounds like an interesting read... though, based on the synopsis, the cover art seems a little misleading, too! Definitely sounds like a darker, more serious book than the art would suggest. Sometimes I like discovering something like that; sometimes it's just annoying!

I'm definitely going to look for North Of Beautiful by this author... and maybe pick up this one someday, too! :)

Literate Housewife said...

Reading a book with a cover like that seems a tad traitorous to your hemisphere. LOL! Now, if it were as hot and humid as it normally is at this time of the year, I'd be drooling right now just by looking at the cover.

Veens said...

I will go ahead and search for "North of Beautiful" instead :)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top