- Fizzy Thoughts: I’ve got hiiiiiiiiigh hopes….

I’ve got hiiiiiiiiigh hopes….

Saturday, July 25, 2009

As you read this I am on the road, headed north to Sunriver, Oregon, for a week spent with Hamburger’s family…his mom, his three aunts, and various siblings, cousins, spouses, significant others, kids and assorted friends.

Each of the 7 days we spend in Sunriver requires nothing more from us than to show up (and sometimes cook for) the obligatory 6pm dinner.  Other than that (and a river float, and maybe a ping pong game or two), I plan to spend my time lazily pedaling along bike paths and reading.  Like everyone else who reads, I seem to have over packed:

king of the books Winterton Blues
Mudbound
Small Town Odds
The Island of Eternal Love
The Mother Tongue
Four Seasons in Rome

a journal
The Game On! Diet, so I can finish the review
The Promised World, because I’m a tour stop in September
1776
A Voyage Long and Strange
The Professor and the Housekeeper
The World in Half

That handsome dude on top of the pile is Valentino Cthulhu, compliments of chartroose, who pretty much picks the best prizes ever.  Sexy Valentino is staying home to guard the house, so don’t get any ideas.

Not pictured is my current read, A Prayer for Owen Meany.  And A Disobedient Girl, another book I’m reading for an upcoming TLC tour stop.  And since I’ll be in Oregon, land of no sales tax, the odds are pretty good I’ll pick up a few more books along the way.  Especially since what I packed may not necessarily end up being what I’m in the mood for.  And yes, I have the same problem when it comes to packing clothes for a trip…I like to have options!

And since I haven’t had a giveaway in awhile, let’s turn this into a little contest.  One with bizarre odds, but hey, you never know.  The person (or maybe persons) who can come the closest to guessing which books I will finish by the time I roll back into town (sometime on 8/2) will win their choice of a book from the above pile (Game On! and the journal excepted).  Fair warning though, if the winner picks a book I haven’t read, they might have to wait for me to read it!

14 comment(s):

Joanne said...

OMG!! Valentino my love ♥♥♥

Hope you have fun on your fam-vacay!

My guesses are that you will read:
-Game On! Diet
-The Professor And The Housekeeper
-Small Town Odds
-The Mother Tongue
and maybe -A Voyage Long And Strange.

Melanie said...

Sunriver's a lot of fun! My cousin's go there every year. I think you'll read

Game On! Diet
A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Disobedient Girl
The Promised World
A Voyage Long and Strange

I never can read many books while on vacation. I'm always too busy having fun!

Julie P. said...

You too fun!

Mudbound
Four Seasons in Rome
The Promised World
The Professor and the Housekeeper
The World in Half

Nymeth said...

The Mother Tongue
The Professor and the Housekeeper
Mudbound
A Prayer for Owen Meany

Valentino is a beauty. Have a great week!

Brittany said...

I'm terrible at these sorts of things, so I'm not even going to try. But I did want to wish you a wonderful trip. I love Sunriver and have so many great memories of biking around on family vacations. I'm a bit jealous it is you going and not me!

Ti said...

Okay.. here's my guess:

A Prayer for Owen Meany
A Disobedient Girl
Game On Diet
Mudbound
A Voyage Long and Strange
The Professor and the Housekeeper
The World in Half

Bookfool said...

Have fun on vacation!! I would love to have big family gatherings but my family is half dead and the living members are spread from California to New Zealand.

infiniteshelf said...

What a great list! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. I tend to "overpack" books too, I think it's part of the reader-disease.

And you have a Valentino Cthulhu! I'm jealous! :D

Beth F said...

Ok, I have to play! Too fun:

Mudbound
Four Seasons in Rome
The Promised World
The Professor and the Housekeeper

BFish(dot)Reads(at)gmail

Care said...

Oh, you'll most def finish The Housekeeper and the Professor (cuz it's short) and I don't think 1776 cuz it's long.
Add Owen Meany and A Voyage Long and Strange, the Rome book, Mudbound and Small Town Odd, and The Promised World. and Game on!

Melody said...

Have fun, Jill!

My guess is:
Winterton Blues
Small Town Odds
The Mother Tongue
The Game On! Diet
The Professor and the Housekeeper

Lisa said...

Have a great vacation!

I'm gonna say you'll read 4. Island of Eternal Love, Four Seasons, The Promised World and the professor. And I'm picking those TOTALLY at random.

chartroose said...

Well, I don't know. You'll finish the diet book, finish Owen Meany and get most of the way through the journal.

Cthulhu looks great! He's much cuter than I thought he would be.

Veens said...

i think u will finish -
1)The Game On! Diet :P
The Promised World

gush - i dnt know :P

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top