- Fizzy Thoughts: Short 'n ...

Short 'n ...

Friday, July 10, 2009

A long time ago (but not in a galaxy far, far away), I posted my thoughts on Mrs. Dalloway. I summed up my feelings about the book with this word:

"Huh?"

Then Joanne left this comment:

"You should start a new event where you post a popular or classic book and have people reply with the first word they think of in relation to it."

And I thought this was such an excellent idea that I kept the email as a reminder. And now I'm finally getting around to it. It only took four months.

We're going to start with this classic:


Chances are, most of us read this one in high school. So don't be shy, step up and leave a comment. What do you think of when you think of this book? Just remember...ONE word people, that's all you get. How would you sum up Animal Farm in ONE word?

And thanks to The Book Zombie for the inspiration!

32 comment(s):

Ali said...

Pigs.

Joanne said...

Ah crap! I love that you took this idea and ran with it but you must know by now I'm unable to not babble on and on :P Anyway the first word that pops into my head when thinking of Animal Farm is:

Society

Amy said...

Like Ali, pigs is the first word that comes to mind. I really like this book!

Veens said...

Great! I have not even read it :D

Nymeth said...

Thosestupidpigs>:( is not a word, is it? :P

Make that "wow", then.

jdeq said...

overrated

bermudaonion said...

Communism.

Rebecca Reid said...

pigs

but I see that's been done already.

Lexi said...

Unfamiliar.

Care said...

oink

wordlily said...

insightful

Mari said...

unread

raidergirl3 said...

propaganda

Thanks Mr Curley, for helping us analysis this book in grade 11 and see the symbolism and parallels to the Soviet Union. It's one of the few books I enjoyed because of the analysis.

bkclubcare said...

I had to come back and yap some more... I just finished Chocolat and (you've read/seen it, right?) when the priest dives into the chocolate display? he's thinking PIGS and I had just read this post. I know, I know, this book and the Chocolat book aren't quite written to the same theme - or is it? hmmmmm

Lisa said...

Meh.

LOVE this idea! I can't wait to see the next one.

Terri B. said...

Dystopia.

Fyrefly said...

Tally another one for "pigs".

Melissa said...

Fun idea!

Complex.

jessi said...

There's a play version of Animal Farm in my textbook as an example of "allegory," so that's become the word I most associate it with. That, and "Fables," thanks to the graphic novel. :)

Kari said...

I'm with Lisa, in that my first word is

"BLEH."

Melanie said...

Menace

The Bumbles said...

I'm with Heather - CREEPY.

Amy said...

clever

Ti said...

Cut-throat. That's one rude right?

Suey said...

Weird

LisaMM said...

porkers

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top