Saturday, August 08, 2009
We finished our Game On! Challenge two weeks ago, so I’m way late with this post. First, vacation interfered with my blogging plans. Then, vacation-recovery interfered.
When I last blogged about Game On!, the snack cakes were three weeks into the challenge, and other than a standstill on the weight-loss front, life was going good. I ended Game On! at the same time I started my vacation (a week at a family reunion with no control over the meals that would be cooked), so I was a little nervous about ruining all my good work. However, I’m happy to report that I was able to make smart choices (a few bites of dessert as opposed to a whole dessert, no snacking, still drinking (almost) 3 liters of water) and when I returned, I found I’d lost 2 more pounds.
So now that it’s all over and I’m back to my daily routine, what did I learn or change?
1) I’m definitely eating healthier. All whole grains, lean protein and more veggies. I’m still avoiding sugar, caffeine, artificial sweeteners and processed foods. I even have Hamburger cooking healthier, although he hasn’t abandoned diet soda and raisins. I had 1/2 of a diet soda on vacation, and discovered I had lost my taste for it. The only thing I drink these days is water. Glug, glug, glug.
2) My healthy habit was to start wearing sunscreen every day. I continue to apply it to my face every morning. Since I broke out in hives on my chest, that is now a sunscreen-free area.
3) The habit I chose to give up was Starbucks. 6 weeks later, I have yet to set foot in one.
4) This is not to say I’ve turned into the food police. I’m not going to beat myself up if I choose pizza for dinner, or if we decide to go out. But I am happy with the smarter decisions I’m making.
5) The exercise habit is still sticking, too. Tuesday through Friday I walk on my lunch break and afternoon break. Saturday through Monday it’s either an hour walk outside or 40 minutes on the treadmill. Any longer than that on a treadmill, and I go stir crazy.
The Game On! Challenge was just the kick in the butt I needed to get out of the unhealthy rut I was in. I know there are other changes I could make, but for now I’m happy with the changes (including the 12 pounds lost) I’ve made.
Oh yeah, and Team Ding Dong won. Bonus.
A huge thank you to Dawn for inviting me to participate in the challenge and putting together our fun prize packs, as well as to Book Club Girl for providing us all with copies of the Game On! Diet book. Also, thanks to all my fellow snack cakes for the support and camaraderie…I couldn’t have done it without y’all! Stay tuned…tomorrow I’ll post my review of the book.