- Fizzy Thoughts: (belated) Game On! Challenge final update

(belated) Game On! Challenge final update

Saturday, August 08, 2009

GameonTile
We finished our Game On! Challenge two weeks ago, so I’m way late with this post.  First, vacation interfered with my blogging plans.  Then, vacation-recovery interfered.

When I last blogged about Game On!, the snack cakes were three weeks into the challenge, and other than a standstill on the weight-loss front, life was going good.  I ended Game On! at the same time I started my vacation (a week at a family reunion with no control over the meals that would be cooked), so I was a little nervous about ruining all my good work.  However, I’m happy to report that I was able to make smart choices (a few bites of dessert as opposed to a whole dessert, no snacking, still drinking (almost) 3 liters of water) and when I returned, I found I’d lost 2 more pounds.

So now that it’s all over and I’m back to my daily routine, what did I learn or change?

1)  I’m definitely eating healthier.  All whole grains, lean protein and more veggies.  I’m still avoiding sugar, caffeine, artificial sweeteners and processed foods.  I even have Hamburger cooking healthier, although he hasn’t abandoned diet soda and raisins.  I had 1/2 of a diet soda on vacation, and discovered I had lost my taste for it.  The only thing I drink these days is water.  Glug, glug, glug.

2)  My healthy habit was to start wearing sunscreen every day.  I continue to apply it to my face every morning.  Since I broke out in hives on my chest, that is now a sunscreen-free area.

3)  The habit I chose to give up was Starbucks.  6 weeks later, I have yet to set foot in one.

4)  This is not to say I’ve turned into the food police.  I’m not going to beat myself up if I choose pizza for dinner, or if we decide to go out.  But I am happy with the smarter decisions I’m making. 

5)  The exercise habit is still sticking, too.  Tuesday through Friday I walk on my lunch break and afternoon break.  Saturday through Monday it’s either an hour walk outside or 40 minutes on the treadmill.  Any longer than that on a treadmill, and I go stir crazy.

The Game On! Challenge was just the kick in the butt I needed to get out of the unhealthy rut I was in.  I know there are other changes I could make, but for now I’m happy with the changes (including the 12 pounds lost) I’ve made.

Oh yeah, and Team Ding Dong won.  Bonus. 

A huge thank you to Dawn for inviting me to participate in the challenge and putting together our fun prize packs, as well as to Book Club Girl for providing us all with copies of the Game On! Diet book.  Also, thanks to all my fellow snack cakes for the support and camaraderie…I couldn’t have done it without y’all!  Stay tuned…tomorrow I’ll post my review of the book.

7 comment(s):

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Wow you have done so fantastically! Congratulations on the TWELVE pounds - wow! (Can you see you if you turn sideways?)

Ti said...

The healthy stuff has stuck with me too. I am down a total of 14 lbs now. I lost 4 more after we ended our game.

There is really nothing that I am doing differently from Game On other than not tracking game points. I am still doing it all, the 5 meals, the water, the free meal and day and the exercise. I'm actually surprised that the exercise part has stuck but I find myself antsy until I do my walk.

Way to go on your additional weight loss. Especially while on vacay!

Julie P. said...

diet soda definitely hasn't lost its taste for me! I'm just trying to drink a lot less of it!

Congrats on the weight loss!

Ali said...

That's great, I hope the healthy habits continue to stick with you!

Beth F said...

I'm amazed that I'm still drinking the water! I slipped a bit with portion control, but I'm back on track again. Even healthy choices don't work if you are eating twice as much as needed!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

It's great that so much of this has become habit for you (and many of us snack cake competitors). We're on vacation and I bought a Brita pitcher when I realized I wasn't drinking enough water away from home because I don't like the taste of the water here!

Oh, yeah ... congrats to the Ding Dongs! But, we're all winners, er, losers, I mean winners ....

Jenners said...

Hats off to you for keeping it up! I lasted about 2 days and completely reverted to my bad habits (a vacation didn't help). I need to play again and/or keep the score sheet on my counter and pretend I'm playing. The only thing I kept was the water!! I'm so happy you kicked your diet soda and Starbucks habits!!! Excellent! Think of all the money you'll save for books books books!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top