- Fizzy Thoughts: Small Town Odds

Small Town Odds

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

small town
Small Town Odds
Jason Headley
October 2004
320 pages 

Eric Mercer screwed up in high school.  Sure he was a smart kid, an unwitting football star, and a likeable guy, but a night of drunkenness results in an unplanned pregnancy.  As a result, Eric gives up his dreams of college and stays behind to be a father.

Six years later Eric is still screwing up.  He helps out at the local mortuary, bartends at the American Legion, and spends his spare time engaging in drunken brawls.  Despite all that, he’s still a likeable guy.

Small Town Odds tells of one week in Eric’s not-quite-what-he-expected life.  The return of his former girlfriend forces him to take a look back and come to terms with where he is and where he is going.  Despite a bit of a slow start, the book (and Eric) grew on me.

I realize I didn’t say much about this one, but if you’re interested in reading it, let me know in the comments.  I’ll draw a name from the interested parties tomorrow and send that person my copy.

5 comment(s):

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I don't think I'll compete for a copy, but the cover picture is very intriguing. And it's impressive that you still liked Eric after that description!

Brad'll Do It said...

Given that cover, and your quick review, the book sounds like it may me worth reading. Count me in.

Lee said...

Oooh, free books - can't resist. I just found your blog, I like the hamburger-soft drink thing. Thanks for sharing.

Ali said...

I'd like to read it. Though, considering that I haven't started either of the other 2 books I've won from you yet, I'm not sure I should be eligible...

Wanda said...

Small town stories intrigue me because I come for a very tiny town, myself. I would love to win this book!
wandanamgreb (at) gmail (dot) com

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top