- Fizzy Thoughts: Weekly Geeks: Why oh why?

Weekly Geeks: Why oh why?

Sunday, August 23, 2009

This week’s Geeky question is:

I think just about every reader has a least one book that they've been meaning to read for awhile (months or even years) but, for one reason or another, they just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe it's a book a friend recommended last year, or a title you've flirted with in a bookstore on more than one occasion, or maybe it's a book that's sitting right there on your bookshelf, patiently waiting for you to pick it up -- but the thought is always there, in the back of your mind: Why haven't I read this yet?

This week, tell us about a book (or books) you have been meaning to read. What is it? How long have you wanted to read it? And, why haven't you read it yet?
 

My bookshelves are filled with books I’ve been meaning to read.  But for this question, I think I’ll focus on three well-known classics that I’ve managed to put off for awhile now.   

dracula                               lolita                               

anna

These three novels are all sitting on my bookshelf.  Anna Karenina has been sitting there the longest, a gift from a co-worker that I’ve always felt like I should read.  I’ve even started it.  It’s just so daunting.

Lolita has only been a resident of the bookshelf for the past few months.  It’s one of those books that is referred to so often that I almost feel like I’ve already read it.  Same goes for Dracula.  I bought both books because I wanted to experience the full story, rather than just guess at the rest of the story every time I see mention of either of the books.

I do plan to read Lolita next month, in honor of Banned Books Week.  And Dracula seems appropriate for October.  But who knows when I’ll get around to finishing Anna Karenina.

Anyone up for a read-along?

20 comment(s):

lilly said...

Oh yes, I forgot about these three! And I love Dracula movie, I must have watched a million times. I have been meaning to read the book forever.

bermudaonion said...

I've got far too many to name!

Louise said...

I haven't read either of those myself, but also have a lot of books just hanging around my shelves, waiting to be read :-)

Trisha said...

It's funny you mention Lolita. It is sitting on my TBR shelf right next to Reading Lolita in Tehran. I have been wanting to, but putting off, reading these two books for about eight or nine months now. Heck, it might be a year.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I read Anna Karenina and remember loving it, but that's about it! That was in my "Russian literature" phase - I loved almost everything I read back then but can't remember what happened in a single one!

I like the idea that you could do the reading for both of us and then post the review and then I don't have to read it again! :--)

Chele by the Sea said...

I'm curious to read Lolita, but I like the idea of you reading & posting what the story was about for Anna. :). The cover to Anna still gets me!

Heather J. said...

I LOVED Dracula when I read it last year, and it was something that I never expected to even like. Definitely read it in Oct! I'm hosting a read-a-long of Frankenstein that month and it would be lots of fun to compare these two books - what do you think?!

Lahni said...

I've thought about tackling Lolita myself, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it. I basically know the story line and for now, that's enough for me. I'm sure I'll decide to read it some day though.

Melody said...

I've only read Lolita among your list. I look forward to reading the other two, but I'm not sure when since I've so many books I want to read! :P

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Hmm, you may be on for a Ban-Books Week read-along of Lolita ... what's your plan of attack?

This has been on my list since I read READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN (5 yrs ago), or maybe even when The Police had a hit with "Don't Stand so Close to Me" (I remember looking up the "old man in that book by Nabokov" reference)

Trisha said...

I would definitely go along with a banned books week read a long of Lolita. Sounds fun.

M Denise C said...

I also would be interested in a read along of Lolita. I have been meaning to read that one for years.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness said...

I read Lolita when I was in high school -- I'm not sure why though... randomly picked up from the library? I don't think I really got how uncomfortable the book is. I've been thinking about going back to it again when I re-read Reading Lolita in Tehran sometime in the future.

Melissa said...

Anna Karenina wasn't too bad -- except for the last 100 or so pages, which were totally worthless.

Dracula was fantabulous. Great for October.

Lolita I'm not sure I'm brave enough to read... but kudos to you for wanting to. :-)

Brad'll Do It said...

For DECADES, I've been trying to read "Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pynchon. I've tried at least four times, and failed in every attempt. It's some 760 small-print pages long, and surreal, at best.

As to Lolita, I read the good parts as an adolescent; saw the movie "Dracula" in many of its forms, so I know how the book ends; and "AK" is a Russian story (okay, Tolstoy, but STILL... Russian), which tend to be depressing and dense.

Care said...

I started AK and keep fooling myself that I'll really finish it someday but have enjoyed watching all the movie versions instead. I could be talked into reading Lolita...

Kristen said...

All three of these are on my hit list...someday, someday

heidenkind said...

For me it's Lord of the Rings. I really, really should read that. For realsies.

Let me know when you're doing Anna Karenina and I'll try to read along with you (if I get bored I'll stop).

krupa123 said...

Wow............ Pearl jewelry sets is something that's traditional at the same time give trendy look. I would like to share the site www.kaneesha.com from where I purchased one such set and I was just surprised to see the quality and an exclusive design.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top